Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Alum vs Iron Heads >

Alum vs Iron Heads

Notices

Alum vs Iron Heads

Old 02-03-2002, 11:09 AM
Sammy

Post Alum vs Iron Heads

Other than the weight difference are there any other advantages using aluminum heads vs iron heads.

THX
Sam

Old 02-03-2002, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can run a hair more compression with alumninum.....
Old 02-03-2002, 12:13 PM
Bruce

Aluminum heads transfer heat from the engine to the cooling water at a much higher rate. I'd estimate about eight times faster. They allow the engine to produce more power per cubic inch and not suffer from heat related failure's. They are a must for high horsepower blower application, in my opinion. Typically, the port design has performance improvements for better airflow. Just bolting a set on an engine without any other modification, will likely not produce any real results.

Old 02-03-2002, 12:47 PM
Sammy

Thanks Bruce, that's great info. I have to admit that my mechanical experience is limited so I appericate any info I can get.
I am having the top half of my 350 SBC upgraded.
It will consist of a new cam,heads,intake and carb. My goal is to make betwen 325 and 350 reliable HP. I have speced out a mild crane cam, Edelbrock alum heads and intake topped off with thier 600cfm marine carb. All indacations point to around 330 hp based on this package.

Sam

Old 02-03-2002, 12:52 PM
Bruce

Sounds like a great package, the aluminum heads will help the engine breath in your application.

Old 02-03-2002, 07:49 PM
mkforsberg

Sammy,

If you are going aluminum look at the edelbrock rpm air gap intake. I have one on my boat and I like it. It really woke up my engine.

Good luck.

Old 02-03-2002, 08:30 PM
Sammy

Flyfast, when I spoke to the Edelbrock tech rep he did not recomend the air gap, eventhough we questioned him. He said to use the Performer # 2701 EPS. I think I'll double check with them again just to make sure. I'm getting to the point where I keep second guesing my self. When it comes right down to it I think they will all do the job. Plus or minus a few HP will not make any big difference..

THX
Sam

Old 02-04-2002, 12:48 AM
mkforsberg

Sam

I have the stock vortec heads with a rpm air gap vortec and the edelbrock 600 cfm marine carb. I don't know what the hp is but the motor is qquick. I first built the motor with a stock type of intake and you can feel the difference with the air gap.

I would like to find out which aluminum heads edelbrock recommends. I would go with what edelbrock recommends. I think they make a good product.

Let us know what they say.

Thanks

Old 02-04-2002, 07:12 PM
Sammy

Edelbrock recommened thier P.N. 60909 64cc aluminum heads. They also recommened a cam( #2103) but I think we are going to up grade that just a bit. As far as rockers I went with Harland Sharp.

Sam

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: Sammy ]

Old 02-04-2002, 07:22 PM
Ultrafine

Red face

Watch buying an Edlebrock cam. I put there cam in my 454 along with the heads and Air gap intake. I followed thier break-in procedures to the letter and the cam went flat. After calling their tech dept they had nothing but excuses. They did replace the cam which I promptly GAVE away. The 454 still sits in my garage full of metal shavings I have to replace the bearings and rings in it now.

Quick Reply: Alum vs Iron Heads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.