NOS Question Jim V >

NOS Question Jim V

Notices

NOS Question Jim V

Old 02-05-2002, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blown1100,
1100hp is a very respectable number for iron heads. You may want to take a closer look at them, (iron heads) if your going to keep them. At 600 inches you need big airflow to feed the motor. Pressurizing the intake helps the 345cc intake runner, its the exhaust I would be conserned with. Are the chambers ported to the bore size? This is critical on the exhaust side for optimal airflow. The exhaust ports should flow 300 cfm at .700 lift. Also important is exhaust port volume. What size valves are in the motor? What is the header primary tube diameter? At 6200 is the torque falling fast? Does the boost increase at higher rpm? I dont think 12 lbs intercooled on racing fuel is too much. The NOS will definatly make the power but if the cam is too small, or the exhaust is restricted, you will see more power in the mid range and not so much on the top end. The easy answer is to change to Big Chief heads. I plan to run nitrous this year also. Im using two 175hp plates. I will dyno problaby in march. If your intrested I can keep you posted. And if you would, keep us informed on your project.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:57 PM
Bruce

Blown 1100, you have a nice combination right now. Thanks for the data. My instinct tells me your limited by exhaust flow from making more power with your present components. I agree with Jim, the nitrous will probably add more torque mid range than top end. To fully utilize the nitrous addition you will probably have to prop up and keep the WOT rpm about the same as it is now. I feel the exhaust just really won't support much more rpm. Jim can help you with port work, it will also improve your existing power. It's your call whether your driveline can handle that much torque. Ideally you would use the nitrous to carry torque further up the rpm range without spiking up at the lower rpm. I just question whether the heads will allow breathing above 6000 rpm at larger power levels. Any good nitrous installation will add fuel and spray. I'd suggest a plate under each carburetor for distribution. It can be done, I question if the driveline can take it. Puder, your right, fuel must be added with the NOS shot. You can't do it with jetting, the spray plate has a fuel nozzle also.

Old 02-05-2002, 09:07 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so when you hi the NOS button it also spray more fuel too (in addition to what flows through the carb??
Old 02-05-2002, 09:33 PM
Registered

yes NOS systems have a fuel side and a nitrous side. nitrous bottle feeds line to selenoid and then thru plate or nozzle in intake if fogger setup. fuel side is tapped into your fuel system which runs to its own selenoid then to plate or nozzle in intake. when you activate NOS system both selenoids open at the same time giving you nitrous injected into the intake charge along with additional fuel charge. with the basic( low HP) bolt on systems there is no need to change your carb jetting only retard timing accordingly.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes Puder ,YOu normally run a second fuel system (lines ,pump ,and filter)to supply the NOS system. NOS needs a alot of exhaust flow ! I have used it on everything you can think of ,diesels ,boats ,cars motor cycles, snow mobiles . You need to realy open your exhaust and have the right cam to also flow the exhaust .You would also gain from a multi stage ignition retard switch. It will retard your ignition to pre set amounts when it senses boost or you spray NOS. I used to race lots of people that blew motor after motor by running a lean NOS system and too much timing . You could hear them popping and see flames out the exhaust as they go by . THere was one guy used to blow his carb off his car every week because he didn't have the NOS hooked up right and it puddled in the intake .After he shut it off ,you could almost count to 10 and it would blow ski high ! Sometimes just the air filter but a couple times the hole carb ! I ran out of gas one time with the "juice" on and took all the spark plugs off with the threads like a saw ! You could pull the plugs out with your fingers ! Didn't hert the motor . I don't know how ! NOS is great when hooked up right . And I have seen NOS (the company ) make some bad recomendations . I always run about 2 jet sizes richer then what they say in the fuel system for the NOS kit. Just like a carb ,better to start rich then lean . Lean goes BOOM ! Good luck Blown 1100 ! Sounds cool !
Old 02-05-2002, 10:54 PM
Registered

I think you guys have hit on the problem with the exaust because from 9 to 12 pounds boost top rpm and speed does not improve but it sure gets there quicker. We are going to do some testing in a few weeks I will keep everone informed. Thanks for the info. guys. Jim keep me posted on dyno results, that should put you well ouer triple digets.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:28 AM
Bruce

Now you see why I was getting a headache at the start of this thread, I didn't want to be responsible for you gernading some nice engines!! NOS will make more power but the potential must be in the engine components to start with. I suspect exhaust flow improvements will help you make more power, your camshaft is certainly big enough. Now, back to my original recommendation of Methanol, that would make some power for you and your blower is big enough to be turned up. I can visualize about 22 lbs of boost and 1450 HP pretty easily. The fuel curve would be fairly tricky but it can be done.

Old 02-06-2002, 02:05 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

22lbs of boost!!! are you kidding?
Old 02-06-2002, 02:21 PM
Bruce

Methanol baby, it's a whole new world! Yes I'm serious. Puder don't try this at home, you need more experience than a computer will allow.

Old 02-06-2002, 02:41 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i run CAM2 in my 1986 200cc honda fortrax quad, it runs fine and teh smell is go so wonderful I could sniff that **** all day long

Quick Reply: NOS Question Jim V

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.