Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Towing about 9600 lbs. Need your advice! >

Towing about 9600 lbs. Need your advice!

Notices

Towing about 9600 lbs. Need your advice!

Old 03-03-2002, 07:00 PM
Wildfire

Bryan,

My comments were meant to address outlawinil's question about the payoff on the diesel. I never really ran the numbers, but with 4" of new snow, working on the boat was out of the question today. i.e. I was bored and nothing better to do.

I agree with your purchase. The PSD is better than the V10 when it comes to mileage, longevity and towing ability. You made the same decision I did regarding gas versus diesel. Diesel is the better choice. What prevented us from going that way was availability of the Dmax (no other dealers would dealer trade with our dealer) and that it is a new engine with no history. The PSD has a good history and is a proven performer. No real world history exists for the Dmax.

I took the prices off of edmunds.com. The A-plan pricing is a formula based upon the GM employee price plus 4% or so (It has been 4 months since we bought, so details are fuzzy). This puts you in at around $500 under dealer invoice. So your observation regarding the price is probably correct. The good part for the consumer is the no-haggle purchase and I believe the dealer gets a little extra kicked back for taking care of the transaction. It can be a win-win.

Like I said in my post. I am a FORD guy. However, the wife liked the heated seats in the Chevy better and it is her daily driver. Isn't that pitiful?

Old 03-04-2002, 06:33 PM
Mack312

GottaHaveIt,

Great looking rig!!!!!!! May 1st. is too far away.
9 Deg here in Cincinnati this AM

I want to hook up and see what it will do. I also want to take some pix's.

As my wife drives this thing more and more 5 foot 100 lbs, she is the queen of the world and the world has to get out of her way.
If you see a Suburban with OHIO tages and a prop on the hitch
a lady behind the wheel,,,,, GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!

Thanks again Chris and pray for spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-2002, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey MAC

I pulled my 312 with a Lincoln Navigator for 2 years. I upgraded the factory hitch to a 10,000 non-load assisted hitch. The Gator comes with the 5.7L engine (I think) and the air suspension stock. Plus..........it has nice cup holders and leather!
Attached Thumbnails Towing about 9600 lbs. Need your advice!-p0001120-w_1_.jpg  
Old 03-05-2002, 09:29 PM
cast

Default TRUCKS

I HAVE A 2000 4BY 4 FORD F350 WITH POWERSTROKE WE PULL ALL TYPE OF BOAT FROM 45 SONIC TO 42 CIG AND 40 SEARAY ALL YOU NEED IS A GOOD TRAILER WITH BRAKES ANY LONG WHEEL BASE TRUCK WILL WORK FOR YOU I WAS GM GUY TILL WE GOT THIS FORD TRUCK I WILL NEVER BUY A GM AGAIN

Old 03-06-2002, 03:47 PM
Registered

seems to eb a few of u s X- GM people out here.... hey after a couple lemon laws whatcha gonna do.... am sold on Ford Trucks
well except for my 63 stepside. shhhhh
Old 03-07-2002, 12:33 AM
canyonman

53fordf100

I also have a GM '99 - yukon. Put Roadmaster spring assists in the rear. Awsome product - great result - I tow my 232 formula (6-6500 wet) like its not there. The rear springs stock are just too soft for ride purposes and I was getting a sway at 67mph. The spring assists are progessive so the ride is only a bit firmer, reduces body roll significantly cornering without the trailer too. Put larger michelins on it and now I don't ever want to sell the truck. The 350 small block is a great tow engine, torque comes in nice and low.

Now If I could just beef up the rear end....

Old 03-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Mack312

PhantomChaos...

Great looking rig!!!!! I also upgraded to the 10K non-load assisted hitch. How does she pull? Any sway? Looks like we have the same trailer. I was in Melbourne FL all week, great weather. 70 and sunny. Saw boat after boat going down I 95 at 80 MPH.......

Come on SPRING!

Old 03-08-2002, 06:50 PM
Registered

I pull my 33 Powerplay with a diesel Excursion 4X4. The weight is about 9500-10000 lbs. I've had no problems. I've been from Florida to Canada.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:00 PM
Registered

i am pulling 10,500 lbs boat and trailer with a 2001 chevy 1 ton extended cab dually it works great and it only has a 6.0 liter motor
Old 03-11-2002, 10:06 PM
Bo Knows

If your looking to buy a Ford the max towing capacity for a properly equipped Expedition is 8000 pounds so thats out. Now you have to figure out if you want a pickup or suv. I would prefer the Excursion but which ever one you get make sure it is equipped with a trailer tow package and more important make sure it has at least a 373 or numerically higher gear ratio ! As far as diesel or gas I would recommend the V 10 over the diesel any day! They are both have a lot of pulling power but any money you save in gas mileage with the diesel will be lost & then some when it comes time for diesel maintainance, repairs, and other diesel related problems ! Bo knows !

Quick Reply: Towing about 9600 lbs. Need your advice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.