fuel pick-up/check-valve?how to tell >

fuel pick-up/check-valve?how to tell

Notices

fuel pick-up/check-valve?how to tell

Old 03-30-2004, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

you guys are funny but no help and the clock is ticking for summer. If I can blow gas back to the tank can I be sure there is no check valve???
Old 03-31-2004, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

YES
Old 03-31-2004, 06:23 AM
Registered

OK, not so short of an answer. If you understand how it works maybe the answer will make more sense. The check valve is a small steel ball that sits in a seat and is held closed by a spring. The spring forces it to a close position. When there is flow in from the tank to the carb or fuel pump the spring is compressed and allows the ball to un-seat. If fuel tried to flow from the pump to the tank the spring is not even involved. The ball simply gets forced into the seat harder and fuel will not flow. If you had a check valve no amount of backwards flow will unseat the ball.

You can remove the fitting on the tank and look. Most every boat will have this check valve, part of the building regs so if you don't have it someone took it out. This check valve fitting will look like any other barbed fitting except the spring and ball sit inside the flow path.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Okay, mister impatient.

I said you could blow back thru the hose to see if there is a checkball/a.s. device in place. What kind of long elaboration is needed? You were on the right track with your original assumption that if you were able to blow freely, then there was no device to remove.

It really and truly is that simple.

If your clock is ticking, then get busy. You had your answer two days ago.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:37 PM
Registered

OK, I've been busy for 11 hrs on it and now I've got my answer,,I guess. Bad dog says nearly all have it from the factory and it sure looks as though nobody has put a wrench to it, it's a little hard to get to. And just one more thing,,since I'm new here and don't know you guys a quick/double entant answer is a little confusing so I didn't know and still not to sure if I had my answer 2 days ago but I'm more than busy on the other plumbing and Supercharger projects until I find out. Guess it will have to come apart anyway, I was hoping to save that step.Thanks Bad Dog and obviously Mc you know a lot about boats(I've read your post about octane etc) but a little short on social skills. Give me a break,Im new here and just lookin for a way to know for sure without breaking the lines.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:15 PM
Registered

Toys, if this is for a blower boat you may as well pull the pickup out anyway and check for dirt and old crap on the pickup. Your best bet is to get the short wrenches, goofy socket swivels, palm ratchets and whatever it takes so you are sure.

Good luck
Old 03-31-2004, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Okay, my teeth are hurting pretty bad right now so I'm not going to waste any effort on trying to be particularly social.

Your first entry in this thread looked, to me, like a short answer was sufficient. Instead, it turned out to be like a discussion with my wife.

Her: What did you do today?
Me: Fired one of the guys.
Her: Really?
Me: Yes.
Her: No, you did not.
Me: Yep. Had to.
Her: No, really, what did you do today?
Me: I told you, I had to fire one of the guys.
Her: Yeah, right.
Me: Yep.
Her: No you didn't.
Me: I already told you I did, now do you want to know the details?
Her: You didn't fire anybody today.
Me: Did too.
Her: No you didn't.

Obviously, if I had come into the house and sat down and begin telling her the details of the event of the day and how it escalated and how it turned out, I wouldn't have been met with such a frustrating conversation. But from my perspective, I had just answered her question with a fully sufficient reply that could have been more detailed but I had figured it was enough to start the remainder of the conversation.

Just like your post and my reply.

I truly had no idea I would find my wife on OSO...

By the way, is your real name Deanna? And are YOU on the rag (cotton pony, white cork, tampico surprise, etc..) this week, too?

You want a break? Go to McDonalds. If you hang out around here, be expecting to be on the receiving end of some professional level harrassment.

You'll get used to it after a bit.

m
Old 03-31-2004, 08:44 PM
Registered

No,I'm not on the rag,niether is your wife,trust me.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

THeeeeere you go.

That's the spirit. Now that you've gotten over that first little hump, you're coming along quite nicely.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:59 PM
Registered

You guys are killin me!!

Glad to see we are all on the same track, now get them funky little wrenches out an rip that sucka apart.

Quick Reply: fuel pick-up/check-valve?how to tell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.