Water reversion with Crane 741 cams >

Water reversion with Crane 741 cams

Notices

Water reversion with Crane 741 cams

Old 04-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water reversion with Crane 741 cams

This was posted on another forum, but there were only a couple of responses. I know alot of people use the 541 here, has anyone had any water reversion problems with this cam, especially on a 540+ engine?

I was told by Stainless Marine that I would need the longer risers with the 741 cam because they don't recommend using their standard length risers with cams that have more than 230* duration at 0.050". Between the new 540's, upholstery, swim platform, and all the rerigging I've done to the boat, I sure would prefer not to have to spend another $2000 on new risers.

Would it be a representative test to run the engines on the hose to see if water reversion is a problem, prior to actually running the boat in the water for an extended period of time?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

IF THIS CAM IS IN AN ENGINE LARGER THAN 540 CU INCH AND IS PULLING WATER YOU ARE DEFINITELY GOING TO NEED A TALLER RISER ONE THING YOU MIGHT ASK JERRY AT STAINLESS IF HE COULD WELD AND RELOCATE THE WATER OUTLET TO THE OUTSIDE OF THE TRANSOM OR IN OTHER WORDS MAKE THE EXHAUST DRY THIS WILL WORK AND SAVE YOU MONEY BOTH . ON MARINE ENGINES LIKE THIS I KNOW EVERYONE HAS DIFFERENT OPINIONS BUT I ALWAYS RUN 114 LOBE SEPARATION AND IT HELPS IN CONTROLLING THE REVERSION PROBLEM. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR YOU NEED TECH HELP CALL US AT 1-305-884-5368 LAZ MESA WWW.MESABALANCING.COM
Old 04-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Registered

YEA YEA GO DRY!!! There is nothing that sounds sweeter to a Marine Gear Head than dry pipes.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:45 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by magnum27
YEA YEA GO DRY!!! There is nothing that sounds sweeter to a Marine Gear Head than dry pipes.
Around here the cops like them too!!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I was told the same thing with my engine. I went with a Lightning header (because of cost) but I had them dump the water over (dry tail). I then had a 3/8" bung welded into the tail that allows me to electrically control the flow of water. If I have a long idle, I can turn the water off and prevent reversion. To keep the temps down, I like to cycle the water on for 10-15 seconds every couple of minutes. I have a second pressure sensitive valve that then dumps water into the tail when the block pressure starts to rise. I have its set so it starts to open just above idle. Set like this it will mist a tiny amount of water into the tail pipe. Not much, just enough to keep the paint on the tail pipes. Noise wise, the boat is definetly over the limit. I'm pretty sure that the Teague muffs will get me real close to the limit and that if I turn up the pressure valve and turn on the idle water that I'd pass. I do know that if I turn up the pressure valve too high at idle, that I can hear the engine tone change. At this point I'm pretty sure that I'm seeing reversion.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I run the roller version of the 741s on 502s with CMI elbow-tops & blowers and have never had a reversion problem.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:50 PM
Registered

Default Re: Water reversion with Crane 741 cams

Originally posted by Monty

Would it be a representative test to run the engines on the hose to see if water reversion is a problem, prior to actually running the boat in the water for an extended period of time?
The answer is yes, but you will need to pull a riser promptly after shutdown to check for dampness in the exhaust chamber.

BT