Need help selecting an on-board battery charger

Notices

Need help selecting an on-board battery charger

Old 04-01-2004, 09:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help selecting an on-board battery charger

I just upgraded my stereo with additional amps and think I need to add an on-board battery charger to keep the batteries topped off.

What brand/model of on-board battery chargers have you had good luck with and where did you get them?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have shore power think about investing in an INVERTER/ charger.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

If you only plan to plug the charger in for a day and then come back and unplug it, then any multi bank charger will work.

If you plan to keep the charger plugged in all the time when the boat is not being used, then you MUST get an electronic 3 stage charger with automatic float. These are the only kind that won't boil out your batteries.

I've had all kinds of chargers, ferroresonant and electronic, but only the 3 stage microprocessor controlled chargers were acceptable for continuous usage.

Formula came from the factory with a FR (iron core transformer) ProMariner stainless charger. Beautiful thing it was. Boiled the crap out of the batteries. Finally it died within its warranty period. Was able to pay an upgrade to ProMariner for the Flyback electronic charger. About ten pounds lighter. Can leave it plugged in forever and the batteries are always ready to go.

Sea Ray came with a big FR ProMariner. Lots of batteries. Diesel boat. Lots of heavy load on the house circuit. High engine room temps. This is all hard on batteries. OE charger would boil right at a GALLON of water out of the batteries in 3 weeks. They weren't the easiest things in the world to get to either... Replaced that charger with a Newmar. 3 stage plus temperature sensor. Mounted the sensor on one of the house batteries. Wonderful. Always charged. They simply don't use water anymore. This is year 5 for those batteries and when I go get the boat ready in a couple of weeks I expect to add maybe a drinking glass full of water to the entire collection of batteries (and it's been since April of last year since I have opened them up).

Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...544&storeNum=9
Old 04-02-2004, 08:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Appreciate everyone's advice, especially Mcollinstn for all the details. Thanks so much for the help!!

Will look for a good a 3 stage charger (possibly with temp sensor).

I had a cruiser prior to the Fountain and had the same problems with the charger boiling batt's, which is why I was asking the question.

Thanks Again,
Brad
Old 04-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

If you don't mind a Ferroresonant charger and want a good one, I've got a promariner 30 amp 3 bank charger I'll sell for $150.

I needed something that I could leave plugged in forever. And it is not good for that. A week at a time, sure. Forever, no.