Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
350 mag won't start after new plugs >

350 mag won't start after new plugs

Notices

350 mag won't start after new plugs

Old 04-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flooded?? Maybe let it sit for a while, charge the batteries.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:45 PM
bowtie89

thats what I am gonna do it is charging now and will charge all nite I am also going to change the cap and rotor to see if that will help

Old 04-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I onced changed plugs in a engine and found that the parts place gave me shorter plugs which made it very difficult to fire in the cylinder. So I would compare plugs. By the way I had my doubts about the plugs when I bought them but the parts guy insisted that they were right. Dwight
Old 04-03-2004, 10:46 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have alot of condensation,, check under the cap.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Registered

Sounds like the distributor moved maybe? Advanced as hell, per the hard cranking?
Old 04-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thought... with the extended tips... you may have had the pistons come up and close the gap on the plugs... I've seen this happen on DOHC engines .. where the plug points straight down on the piston.. The guy had changed the plugs... couldn't get the engine to start... when it cranked over.. it was "hard"... turned out the piston crowns were touching the plugs... too funny... again... just a thought. One more thing... I wouldn't run the extended tip plugs myself on a boat... the constant heavy load situation will cause the tips to run hotter than in an automobile installation.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Registered
Gold Member

What made you change the plugs to start with? I only ask because I just had a bad experience with my boat. Spent a whole week troubleshooting after breaking down on the water and getting towed back. Everything checked good. Good because I saw spark at every plug, but had no way to test spark energy. Turned out to be the coil. It had rusted and was leaking its fluid, but I couldn't see it. It would spark, but not enough to fire the engine. Installed a new coil, and runs like new money.......Good Luck...
Old 04-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Huffer

Bowtie89,
I've got to agree with REED on the extended plugs in a marine application.These plugs were a good deal in a car engine when they first came out.The extended tip will burn cleaner because of the new location in the combustion chamber.They also change where the ignition flame front starts.This, in a small way,affects the spark timing that the cylinder senses.Possible detonation under load that you cannot detect, til it's too late!
I'd take those babies out & give em to somebody that can use em in their car.(or the trash can)They're probably bent, now, anyway.
Huffer

Old 04-04-2004, 09:08 PM
bowtie89

Ok I went and bought the ones that were in the boat and a new cap and rotor slapped them on and the same thing! So I went with the timing I was messing around with it I had it at the point where it was popping alot almost ready to start but now quite and then the starter got hot and is just spinning!!! ugh now I need a new starter this one is 2 weeks old! this is so frustrating!! I think the gas may be a little weak to so this week I will change the starter and mess around with it some more! anyone else have any tips for me?
thanks for all your help also!!

Old 04-04-2004, 10:31 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you cannot run a starter that much without overheating
1 minute cranking requires 5 minutes cooling
20 seconds of cranking should be followed by 2 minutes of cooling. and if its warm out you might need to wait longer. Or you can just keep buying starters