Relocating oil filter >

Relocating oil filter

Notices

Relocating oil filter

Old 04-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocating oil filter

I am relocating my oil filter because it is in the way of my new exhaust manifolds. It is on a 2001 502 MPI. Where is the best place to put it? Any sugestions will help because I have never done this. I have cut off the part of the barcket it was mounted to and will re-use it, just need ideas on where to put it now. Seems like it will be pretty heavy with the two lines, filter, oil, and bracket. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,894 Likes on 952 Posts

Mount it on the transom.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my two hung from the lip of fiberglass extending into the rear of the engine compartent from the deck for three years...worked great. Just had to modify the filter mount slightly , by bolting a piece of aluminum angle to the top the bolt that to the lip
This also allowed me to use a 2 quart filter
Old 04-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Registered

Griff, if I go to the transom do I use lag screws? How long and what diameter screw? What about the angle of the transom. Mine is at a 75 to 80 degree angle when the boat is in the water sitting or running. Will this matter?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Registered

Hardin Marine makes a kit that puts it on the back of your cylinder head(filter facing horizontal). I have also used the same kit and w/ a little mod. put them on the front of the cylinder head. Polished alum. too.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:11 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,894 Likes on 952 Posts

The filter can be mounted at any angle or any direction.

When I did mine I just used some 1/4 inch SS screws about about 1.5 inches long. I made the mounting bracket out of of angle iron that I painted. Just have to drill the holes in the angle iron.
Drill the holes for the part that mounts to transom 1/2" closer to the edge of the angle iron(wider) that the holes for the remote filter mount so they don't interfere with the remote filter bracket. I know on the one I did that it has about 150 hours on it without any problems.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:54 AM
wcc

Eddie marine sells a MSD bracket that mounts to the back of the head, pass side rear. I am using that bracket to mount a remote filter. Should be a clean install and keeps all oil lines with the motor instead of stuck to the transom. O'ya and the filter will be mounted correctly so that you don't spill oil all over everything when you change your oil.