Flywheel Housing Question >

Flywheel Housing Question

Notices

Flywheel Housing Question

Old 04-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel Housing Question

In my efforts to get motors put back into my project, I have run into a problem with flywheel housings. This is what I have. 1986 Fountian 10 Meter, #3 drives, 540 CID motors, BW 72c Trans, plug in tailstocks, dual oil cooler flywheel housings, front and rear mount plates.

We discovered a problem when final test firing of the motors in the boat. After several starts, the starters began to kick out of the flywheel. These were freshly rebuilt starters. Replaced with new starters and problems started again. Removed starters and noticed the gears were only engaging flywheel about 1/8 of an inch.

After several calls I discovered that engines with rear mount plates call for different flywheel housings. For flywheels without coolers, there are 2 models. One for mount plates and one for no mount plates.

I have not seen 2 different part numbers for flywheel housings with oil coolers. Are there 2 models? Can I have the ones I have installed machined to remove 1/4 inch? What other problems do I need to look for?

I was so close to water and now the engines have to come back out.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 04-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Registered

If you have a offshore plate between the the block and the flywheel housing, you need to shave the face of the flywheel housing(shave the side facing the block). Usuallly take of 1/4 inch (thickness of the offshore plate).
Old 04-06-2004, 09:22 AM
Registered

Default So Close

When the starters did not reach far enough, I told people I was about 1 inch from being in the water. Now that it is the housings and not the starters, I can tell people I am 1/2 inch (1/4 inch on each motor) from being in the water. Getting closer, but this last 1/2 inch is going to kill me. Hello Gene, could you please pull the motors 1 more time. Aaaaagh.

Thanks for the information marinetrans. I had a feeling it was not going to be good news.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Registered

Default Weekend bilge rat

Went with plan B. Remove the rear plate mounts and leave the housing alone. I have the transmission mounts that support the back of the transmission to the transom plates, so we believe we still have adequate support at the rear of the drivetrains.

That still meant removing the motors. I spent 4 hours on Thursday and unbolted / disconnected everything. Friday morning we pulled both engines, removed the trans, housing, and plate and reassembled without the plates. Friday afternoon, put one motor back in and connected everything. Finished second motor on Saturday morning. Fired up motors at noon. It was raining so no water test. Had to come home for Easter Sunday, so launch should be next weekend.

Here is a picture before plates were removed. Funny thing, they looked just like this Saturday after we removed them. 2 days worth of work and no one will ever see it. Anyone need two rear engine mount plates? Just powdercoated black with low use.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails Flywheel Housing Question-april-04-pictures_0006.jpg  
Old 04-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Registered

Just be careful,sometimes without the plate, you can break the bell housing if your running hard and jumping waves. The bell is alumn. and can break easy.Sorry for telling you this after all your work. Just don't drive it like you stole it.