Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
EGT's ,,,why so many diff. #'s??what's hot >

EGT's ,,,why so many diff. #'s??what's hot

Notices

EGT's ,,,why so many diff. #'s??what's hot

Old 04-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NGK r5671a-8 is what ive been using, not projected tip. I think that the stock # is 4554.

Strip Poker,
Are you saying I might be able to run projected tip in an 8 or 9 and get better readings?

OR..are you saying I might try 7's not projected to get rid of the soot on the plug and get better readings?

Thanks Greg
Old 04-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can run the projeted tip it will keep the plug cleaner ,not load up at idle, I ran theR5674 # 8's on a 494ci 8/71with 2 1050'c at 11 pounds of boost at 828hp on pump gas. If I did not have verry much idle time I would have went with the 9's. a 9 would shoot up pretty quick at idle though.

or try the 7 in the non progected tip but be carefull.It may be cleaner at idle but maybe to hot at midrange on up.I think # 6 is a stock heat range on most stock engins.

I have used to 3 diffrent dyno shops and they usally went to the projected tip plug on street or marine aplication where there was idleing. Or if there was not enough plug to piston clearance use the non pro.

You might give NGK a call the guys name there is Neal ,hes pretty sharp. Susan used to be in tech she use to sponser me on the plugs back when we ran the Hot Rod street car shoot out circut.Shes in sales now, so no more free plugs .It was good while it lasted .I still have a few odd ball plugs they sent me to try.

One of the good things about the Race NGK plugs they are shorter than any other plug ,nice on the headers, there race plugs are made in a diffrent plant than the regular plugs also.

Lean was too mean. It was still running and not missing either ,The new gapless plugs.picture

ROB
Attached Thumbnails EGT's ,,,why so many diff. #'s??what's hot-pistons-spark-plugs-011.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 04-08-2004 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldnt the projected tip run hotter? Im not sure Ive got the jist of it .Greg
Old 04-08-2004, 11:54 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The projected tip sticks out into the chamber . ie more pron to detonation, but it will run cleaner sticking out in the flame . on the colder plug the porcelain goes deeper into the plug. I am not to good explaining things. the temp of the plug doe sent determined by the tip.

you might want to go to a auto parts store and look at a plug like ac 45 style . get one like a 41-43 then go up to 46-48. the #'s might not be correct but would get the idea.you will be able to tell the diff in the heat ranges. try some of the spark plus sites ,they may have some picks also.I probably confused you.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:05 AM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Wouldnt the projected tip run hotter? Im not sure Ive got the jist of it .Greg"

No. Extended tip plugs are actually cooled by the incoming intake chage and provided you have the correct length, and no threads are exposed to the combustion chamber, will resist detonation.
Bob