Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Repower to 350 MAG MPI >

Repower to 350 MAG MPI

Notices

Repower to 350 MAG MPI

Old 04-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Rumrunner-fishing

Unhappy Repower to 350 MAG MPI

I just replaced my blown Merc Alpha 260 with a new 2002 Merc 350 MAG MPI. My problem is the new motor has a 10 pin plug and my wiring harness is 9 pin!! My other problem is the seawater pump,do I use both alpha in the lower unit and Bravo pump on the motor? I guess I got into more than I can chew..

Old 04-07-2004, 07:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know the difference with the wiring, but I do know that you don't need both the pump in the drive and the sea pump on the engine.
If it was me, I would try to eliminate the pump in the drive, and keep the sea pump on the engine. Hopefully someone will chime in on how to do this.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Rumrunner-fishing

I was also told to do that and was hoping for more support in that direction. The only question I had on this was I going to get enough water thru my pickup tube. I appreciate the advice and will keep hoping for more on the rest of my problems. Thanks Kerry

Old 04-08-2004, 06:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 142 Likes on 51 Posts

I've seen guys use the Alpha pump as a drive shower, by running the drive hose out a thru the hull fitting which sprays down over the top of the drive. Then they put in separate pick up and sea strainer for the engine mounted pump.
The Merc service manual will have the wiring diagram for your engines, you'll just have to compare them to find out which wires you need.
What year is the old engine, I've got a service manual that shows the wiring, you just need one for the new engine.
Hey Pat thanks for the tip on Castle, the boat is there now. Bruce seems like a great guy, and genuinely interested in helping me out.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Rumrunner-fishing

That sounds like a good idea with the drive shower,but if that means drilling more holes in the hull I dont think the wife will like that idea.... I didn't get a manual with this motor-bought it online-and thats why I need a wire diagram. Any other info will be appreciated. Thanks Kerry

Old 04-10-2004, 07:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think if you explain to the wife how the benefits of a drive shower, out weigh the 3/4'' hole, finished with a nice SS fitting, in the transom she may LET you do it
Try www.stemtostern.com for a manual or a local Merc dealer
Old 04-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Rumrunner-fishing

Thanks Sonic30ss, the wife said if thats what it takes then ok. I ordered the water pickup and a wiring harness and getting the manual thrown in too. That transom shower set-up, is that something like the water pickup?

Old 04-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The drive shower set up uses the existing pick up and pump in the Alpha. Instead of the water going to the circulation pump it is rerouted back out thru the transom on to the tops of the drives, where it cools them.