Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trailer Bunks >

Trailer Bunks

Notices

Trailer Bunks

Old 04-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Kent Perroux

Default Trailer Bunks

Time to change out my trailer bunks. What wood is best? My thoughts are on cypress, but it looks like a lot of manufacturers are using the treated stuff.

Kent

Old 04-08-2004, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree...I'd get the treated. I've got to replace one on mine...I'm just going to order straight through eagle trailer, or overtons though.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:20 PM
MKast

Fiberglass boards. You'll never have to replace them again.

Old 04-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

I can get you aluminum bunks that are rubber capped.. The same ones on our boat lifts...
Not the cheap way to go, but certainly nice.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Bunks-bunks.jpg  
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 04-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Registered

I did mine last season. Eagle Trailer told me to just by treated and let it go at that. I was going to use SS hardware and they put the nix on that as well. Finally, I was going to get carpet from them and- guess what -they advised go to home depot and get dark (in my case, black) indoor/outdoor carpet and get after it. Did the job in an afternoon and was as good as new.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Registered

What about the teflon pads to help it slide easier. Do they help or are they bad to the bottom of the hull. What kind of fabric for the indoor-outdoor stuff.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Registered

I used I/O carpet- but not the astro-turf looking stuff. My HD keeps it around this time of year and through the summer on big rolls. It reminds me (almost) of marine grade carpet. I think it comes in black, gray and blue. And, it was fairly reasonably priced. No teflon pads, just the carpet which, I believe, is "slick" when wet, so depending on how far you can get the trailer into the water, I can't see teflon being of any assistance. I would spend the extra $$ to use SS staples when you gun the carpet on, though.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Banned

Kent, I have some cedar beams I had left over from a trailer building business I used to be in. You are welcome to them for free. I have several sizes.

By the way, cypress will FAR outlive PT wood. I have a 1988 trailer I redid last year, and the cypress bunks were solid as ever. The PT V block was rotted to hell.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced two last year with PT. Worked fine and reused the old carpet. 1995 Eagle trailer. The old lag bolts were just about gone from rust. Used new galv. lags but dipped them in anti-seize before bolting the PT in place. Don't know if that helps, but can't hurt.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:15 AM
Registered

Default Carpet on bunks

I just finished doing that on one of my cat trailers. Peice of cake!The trailer is a 1998 Extrem and the wood was starting to rot.
I, like some of you, went to menards and bought 2 18' by 10 by 2 planks, gallon of Thompsons waterprofing, 20 foot of black carpet,carpet glue and a few staples for my gun. and new bolts and nuts for the ends and lag bolts for the rest.
one day and it was done, all for under a hundred bucks !
Looks pretty good if I say so myself
eliminator219

Quick Reply: Trailer Bunks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.