trailer axle spindle question >

trailer axle spindle question

Notices

trailer axle spindle question

Old 04-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer axle spindle question

Last weekend I was trailering my boat home and at about 50MPH noticed my left rear axle bearing blow apart. I immediately pulled over and upon repairing it noticed the outer part of the spindle had some nasty groves in it where the bearing race rides. I filed it sooth as possible, replaced all of the bearings and seals for that wheel, and finished the remaining 110 miles home. It appeared to be OK, but I am told that I can't replace the spindle, that I would have to replace the entire axle. The trailer is a 2001 VIP triax with 6 wheel disc. Can I repair the spindle or do I need to repalce it?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spindles are replaceable. Most can be bought dirt cheap. $15??? Depends on how yours is installed. welded on top of axle tube or inside of it. Just a matter of cuting the weld, removing spindle and rewelding in new one. Just need to make sure it is installed straight. Complete axles are cheap too. Mostly cheap enough to not bother fixing old one if you need to pay to have it repaired.

www.championtrailers.com
Old 04-15-2004, 11:12 PM
Registered

I thought it could be cut off and replaced but VIP said no way. It would create tire wear because there is no way to reinstall the new spindle exactly as the old one came off. Maybe I should get a second opinion from a reputable local trailer repair center.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:11 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a repaired axle and the thing was never straight. Wound up replacing the axle. I spent more time messing with the original than it took just to change it
I have another right now with a gouge in the bearing surface that leaks slightly. That's next
It's on the same trailer and same side as the other one. Kinda makes me wonder what happened to the trailer before I bought it

Last edited by mopower; 04-16-2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Registered

You should be able to repair them you just have to make sure it is straight. For a little while when i was in high school i worked for a guy that built trailers and he ordered all of the axle tubes and spindles separate for everything he built. But he did have a nest set up that aligned and clamped everything in place so he could weld them straight.