IMCO Dual Ram steering problem >

IMCO Dual Ram steering problem

Notices

IMCO Dual Ram steering problem

Old 05-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: IMCO Dual Ram steering problem

I have resevoir on dual ram. Steering is one finger from idle (700rpm) all the way up. I am going to guess the helm is the problem. Did the person that you bought the boat from the orginal or second owner. Could it be plumbed wrong? Maybe someone took it apart & forget what line went to where.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Turbojack! I've traced the lines, and they look right. I'm going to call IMCO, Teague and Char-Lynn tomorrow and see if they have any ideas. It has to be something simple...

Do you boat in Galveston Bay?

Jim
Old 12-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Registered

OK It's REALLY fixed this time!! Found the problem to be the orifice nut, (the nut that the high pressure side connects to...).

I bought a new PS pump, and on the way home read the package inserts... duh! One read: "When re-installing orifice nut, ensure that the O-Ring doesn't cover THIS hole...or you'll have no power assist. " with an arrow to a small hole in the side of the orifice nut.

Mine wasn't covered, but it was BLOCKED. I pulled the one from the new pump, and sure enough, it flowed air. So, I drilled out the hole, reinstalled and VOILA! I now have TRUE power steering! From dead idle on, it's pinky finger light. Yippee!

Tomorrow is 70 degrees, so a sea trial is in order! Thanks for everyone's input on this!

Jim
Old 12-27-2004, 06:40 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread. I'm installing a dual ram full hydraulic steering on my AT this spring. Now I now what to look for if I have this type of problem!!
Old 05-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bglz42
OK It's REALLY fixed this time!! Found the problem to be the orifice nut, (the nut that the high pressure side connects to...).

I bought a new PS pump, and on the way home read the package inserts... duh! One read: "When re-installing orifice nut, ensure that the O-Ring doesn't cover THIS hole...or you'll have no power assist. " with an arrow to a small hole in the side of the orifice nut.

Mine wasn't covered, but it was BLOCKED. I pulled the one from the new pump, and sure enough, it flowed air. So, I drilled out the hole, reinstalled and VOILA! I now have TRUE power steering! From dead idle on, it's pinky finger light. Yippee!
Jim
Jim would you mind posting a foto of where this hole is that you're talking about?

I think i have the same problem you described but can't figure out what hole you're talking about.
thanks,
dean
Old 05-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Yeah I'm curious for future reference as I have the IMCO system on mine.

Also along hthese lines, I heard there's a trick to aligning the steering wheel up centered with the drives which occasionally strays off especiall yin rough waters. Trick was something like turn the wheel to the stops and hold pressure until the wheel spins freely then line up; turn three turns center and you're done. Has anyone tried this or has more specific instructions to d it with IMCO full hydraulic steering with twins?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=bglz42]OK It's REALLY fixed this time!! Found the problem to be the orifice nut, (the nut that the high pressure side connects to...).

Bringing this thread back to life... I have a similar problem here.... full hydraulic steering set-up (Marine Machine). I have very stiff steering at idle until say 12-1500 rpm and up, I've been told to drill the orfice as well, and I did so in the center of the fitting. However when drilling the side orfice, are you refeering to the small hole in the recessed area or at the end? (see pic) I was unsure which to do. Also, what size did you drill each orfice?

thanks for any help!

MARK
Attached Thumbnails IMCO Dual Ram steering problem-dsc00175.jpg  
Old 06-09-2005, 06:34 AM
Registered

It's the upper hole. Be careful when drilling out the main orifice, the upper hole will close up with "drill boogers". Also be careful to put the o-ring back in the right spot. If you cover that little hole, no power steering...
Old 06-09-2005, 06:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bglz42
It's the upper hole. Be careful when drilling out the main orifice, the upper hole will close up with "drill boogers". Also be careful to put the o-ring back in the right spot. If you cover that little hole, no power steering...
Thanks! I'm gonna give it a try today....
Old 06-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't remember seeing anything about 'drilling the oriface" in my instructions. I have a single ram full system that works great (one finger) from idle on up. I did not do any drilling?

Quick Reply: IMCO Dual Ram steering problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.