IMCO Dual Ram steering problem >

IMCO Dual Ram steering problem

Notices

IMCO Dual Ram steering problem

Old 04-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IMCO Dual Ram steering problem

I just bought a single engine boat equipped with an IMCO dual ram system, hydraulic to the helm. I'm getting amost no power assist. The steering effort feels the same, engine running or not. Here's what I've done so far:

Drilled orifice
Cleaned filter
Installed new power steering pump
Double checked hose routing
Cracked pressure line from pump, at helm, plenty of pressure (messy!)
Called Ron at IMCO and Dino at Teague, no idea what's happening
Checked for air in the cylinders, none

So, do I have a bad helm pump? Lines clogged somewhere? The previous owner told me it'd always been stiff. Dino and Ron said it should be fingertip easy.

Any ideas?

Jim
Old 04-19-2004, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, is it only stiff at idle or is it stiff all the time? It has always been stiff at idle and becomes very light at just above idle, say 1200-1500 RPM. That's why I recommended a different PS pump pully to speed up the pump, have you tried that?

Also, the helm is not a pump. It is a valve that allows fluid to flow as the steering wheel is turned. Ought to be a pretty reliable piece of the system.

John

Last edited by JohnJan; 04-19-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Registered

Hi John!! It's very stiff from idle to 2500 rpm (as high as I like to rev it in neutral). At higher speeds, it feels better but I'm thinking that's just the prop helping. My friend Spencer's Exciter has a full manual, non assisted) dual ram system and his feels about the same. At speed, it feels OK. Thanks for yoiur response!

Jim
Old 04-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Registered

Haven't tried the smaller pulley yet, but since it doesn't get better with engine speed, I don't think that'd help.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Registered

You're probably correct about the speed at which the power steering begins to help since 2500RPM is a very awkward speed for the boat - a bit above idle but not quite on plane. On plane the system no doubt works well. That's the way the system has always worked since it was installed.

I'm curious how your friends system could be working as described since any hydraulic system of this type is by definition a "power steering" system. There has to be a hydraulic pump creating line pressure.

My sense is that is it working the way it was intended.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Registered

You're probably correct about the speed at which the power steering begins to help since 2500RPM is a very awkward speed for the boat - a bit above idle but not quite on plane. On plane the system no doubt works well. That's the way the system has always worked since it was installed.
According to the guys at IMCO and Teague, that system should be fingertip light at idle. One finger, they both called it.

I'm curious how your friends system could be working as described since any hydraulic system of this type is by definition a "power steering" system. There has to be a hydraulic pump creating line pressure.
It's just like the system in my other boat. It's a Hynautics type system. Run from the helm pump. No power assist at all. (Yes it's a helm pump in the red boat, too. That's why you can steer with the engine off.) The line pressure in a Hynautics system is provided by the helm. I've had this system in several boats. They are very smooth, but require LOTS of turns, lock to lock. That's why they are usually not used in performace boats. Spencer's boat is a former raceboat. They did not care about low speeds.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Registered

Never occured to me about the helms "pumping" effect when not under assist by the PS pump. So obviously the helm displaces fluid while the wheel is turned - that makes sense. It then makes me wonder if the volume of fluid moved by the steering wheel is matched to the volume of fluid required to move the rams.

Does the receipt for the system that I gave you say what "volume" the helm is? I looked at IMCO's website and there are several choices in Char Lynn helms. I wonder if when the system was put together by Teague if the correct helm was selected?

Sure would've saved me some aggro around the docks if I even knew the system wasn't working that way it could've...
Old 04-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

JohnJan

How many turns lock to lock? Around 3 turns will give you the one finger steering. I had the same problem with my WMP. Helm had too much volume, hard steering. I also found the steering shaft wasnt lubed and created some drag. My friends has 3 turns lock to lock and it is one finger. Mine has less cant remember how many exactly. Maybe I should go for a boat ride and recount them. But mine is still not "one finger" even after changing to a smaller volume helm..
Hope this helps..

Good luck
Dick
Old 04-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Registered

I'll check it tomorrow... I think it's about 3 turns lock to lock.

John, the reciept doesn't specify the volume. I'll call Dino tomorrow and see if he can figure it out from a model number.

BTW: the boat is just plain MAGNIFICENT! It 's everything you said it was, and more. The steerring thing is just a minor glitch. The boat is about perfect!
Old 04-22-2004, 10:53 AM
Registered

BTW: The helm is a HCK26 with a #3 steering wheel according to the note from Dino.

Quick Reply: IMCO Dual Ram steering problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.