Corsa Silent Choice problem >

Corsa Silent Choice problem

Notices

Corsa Silent Choice problem

Old 05-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Corsa Silent Choice problem

The silent choice exhaust on my HP500's don't seem to be working right. I can switch them on and watch and only 1 or 2 of the 4 solenoids will close. It seems like the others are trying to close but just don't have the power to do so. If I manually grab them and pull them closed they will stay in place but not once I turn the key off and try again. I have tried fully charging the batteries and that works for a few tries but then they won't operate again. I know that it is not the batteries because I have checked the voltage on them and each individual cell and they all check out. Could it just be bad solenoids or am I missing something? If its the solenoids is it possible that 2 or 3 of the 4 are bad?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with the gill silent choice system on my Active Thunder.
I also thought it was a solenoid, and replaced it, and I still had the problem.
It was a faulty plug that plugs into the solenoid.
Check the connections at the solenoid, and the wires into the plug for any loose connections. Start there first before checking the solenoid.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the solenoids getting hot? If they do not actuate all the way and you keep them is the charged position they will fry quickly.

Anyway, disconnect from the relays and run a gound wire and + wire (10 gauge) to each one at a time.

If they thow with autority then it is a wireing or relay problem.

If not then you have fried your solenoids (not cheap)
Old 05-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a bad relay that caused neither exhaust on one motor to work. The way Corsa wires them, one relay feeds the other. It was flat dead, didn't work at all.

Sounds like the voltage is weak. Maybe a dirty connection with the blade connectors to the relays. This could cause one or two solenoids on one motor to operate weakly. Try what bajaloin suggests, jump directly to the soleniods, and see if they "clunk" with authority. This will verify that the soleniods are working or not.

Corsa has a customer service dept and faxed me a wiring diagram to help troubleshoot. Go to http://www.corsaperf.com for contact info.

My connectors to the soleniods were getting flaky, (intermittent connection) so as a winter project, I removed all of the Corsa wiring from the relay blocks on my motors, and hard wired everything to a relay block on my firewall. Much better now.

Good luck,
Brian

Last edited by p4-33; 05-02-2004 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:49 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I checked out the wiring plug that goes right to the solenoid and they look clean. I'm not sure where the wiring goes from there though - I started to try tracing it to find the relay but ran out of time. What does this relay look like and any idea where it might be mounted?

The Solenoids have 4 wires going to them - Red, green, white and black. When I try running power right to them do I use the black and red wires?
Old 05-03-2004, 06:45 AM
Registered

The way your system work is like this. First the seliniods energized a 'pull' electro magnet, for three or four seconds to retract. Then using a seperat electro magnet inside to hold retacted. Your first electro magnet isn't working if they hold when pulled manualy. Check you wireing throughly, and then make a call. I believe there is a brain for this system that may have to be changed. Member Bailey on this board has gone through this. Also my buddy with the same combo as your went throught this last summer. He swaped seloniods, and it turned out to be a bad wire.

Also check your warrenty, there is a three year warrenty on the corsa's!
Old 05-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Registered

I would check the ground on the block. Onbe side of my system went and it was the connection at the ground on my block.

Put a new connector on and everything was rock n roll

Good luck
Old 05-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

The spindle inside the pipes where the flappers rotate could be burnt as well. Sometimes when running on plane with them you can burn them or they simply wear making them difficult to rotate, which in this case, could be preventing the solenoid's from having enough umph to do it alone. Just another observation.

Last edited by Reckless32; 05-03-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Registered

Corsa uses a solid state relay from www.synchro-start.com to actuate the solenoid. It's a two coil solenoid with a pull coil that operates for a few seconds and a holding coil that takes over (http://www.sspi.com/pdf/7wire.pdf)

The mechanism may be binding which won't allow it to initiate the flap closure, or your solenoid coil may be weak. This happened to mine as well.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Breathe Later
Corsa uses a solid state relay from www.synchro-start.com to actuate the solenoid. It's a two coil solenoid with a pull coil that operates for a few seconds and a holding coil that takes over (http://www.sspi.com/pdf/7wire.pdf)
Thats what I was trying to explain, thanx.