Twin Turbo Question?? >

Twin Turbo Question??

Notices

Twin Turbo Question??

Old 05-03-2004, 05:21 PM
dentz

Default Twin Turbo Question??

Who has TURBO Knowledge! (Post #21)

I have an old banks set up and wondered if anyone knew where to get a dual carb plentium for my set up!
It is a BANKS set up dual turbo's Bigger intercooler (dual)
with a single 850 carb! Looking for plentium and If anone knows if it is worth doing! Currently it's running 15 lbs of boost...Boost comes on at 3600 and pulls till 6000...It's still not tuned in 100% yet...But I read that the extra carb will give it another 150 hp...I also heard that the fuel puddles up in the plentuim...alsos adds alot more heat! The HP would be nice..?Ya or NAY...Will it still be reliable? Better or Worse?
Mike from MI
454 +20
Merlin Heads 2.25-1.88Inconell Valves
J.e 7.5 to 1
Cat Billet Rods
Vr JR-Holley- 850
Comp cam 612 int 605 exh 114 center
Msd Boost timming master!
Pulls Hard at 3600 till 6000!
I am guessing 700hp?

Old 05-03-2004, 06:07 PM
dentz

no.. not yet.....I read a thread from 02 that had the same set up....single carb...

Old 05-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it look anything like this?
Old 05-04-2004, 12:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks like my original set up.... but the original owner changed the carb mount and put on dominators... corrosion finally got everything... ate up the intercoolers and manifolds.... Also... a water/alcohol injection set up was installed to dump distilled water and alcohol into the carb throat when it got boost...
Old 05-04-2004, 12:50 AM
dentz

Yes...Identical...why would you use a 1130 cmf carb and nitrious injectors for 5lbs of boost? Or are you injecting nitrious and more fuel for more power? The nitrious would be killer for my boat to get it out of the hole....The boost doesnt come on in mine till 3600!It rock after that to 15lbs!!What kind of carb..and did you dyno it? I would love to hear how much power yours are making...Thanks for the pics..Looks TITS!

Old 05-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Registered

The bigger the carb the less restriction that the turbos have to suck thru. The injectors he is talking about is to prevent detonation. As you inject water in the flow it cools the air charge thus reducing the chance of detonation.

I had that set up for about 20 years. Check the manifold. I had to patch mine a number of times due to cracks & water leaks into the manifolds. I also had installed waste gates. With those I was able to dial in the amount of boost I wanted, min. 5.5lbs & max of 18. With the waste gates as soon as I nailed wot the boost would go to what ever the setting was almost instantly. I still have all the parts laying around in the toy box some where.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:26 PM
dentz

Turbo Jack...call me if you get a minute 248-722-3464 or leave me your number and I'll call you..I might be intrested in those waste gates...!!I would love to talk to someone with experience these! Thanks for the Help!

Oh...do you think 1 carb would do justice with my set up and 15lbs of boost??850-950-1050-1130-1150..?Or should I continue looking for a dual carb plentium??

Old 05-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Registered

I will call you tommorrow. Gale Banks had the 15lbs of boost styem on a 454 rated at 850hp. I want to say the 12lbs system was rated at 750 or 725 & the 10lbs system was at 650. This was back in the mid to late 70's. In those days his was a lot of HP. Today with 15lbs of boost you should be making way over 1100+ hp This setup is not capable of going there. I could see the system work good somewhere in the 700hp range (8-10llbs of boost) The problems with this system is first the exhaust, to restricitive. When Richard Lee started designing his system the first thing that had to go was the exhaust. Back in those day exhaust by the name of DRAKE was the hot setup. Compared to today's standards the intercooler is also too small. Running this setup today with 15lbs of boost the only thing you are going to do is spend money with an engine builder because you are going to be detonating the motor trying to get big hp.

If you want to keep the turbo setup plug the holes in the turbo housings, install wastegates, keep your 850cfm carb, or go to a 800 (I got better fuel economy with the 800 & did not see that big of difference in HP),keep boost low & motor will live. Start cranking up boost you will melt it down.

I know I have some pictiures of my turbo setup I had somewhere. I will look & see if I can find.