Notices

Bucking trailer!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Bucking trailer!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by bn
I do have an appointment at a Camper/RV service place for Tuesday. I figure they probably deal more with surge brakes on trailers more than marinas do.
Acording to the travel trailer shops I questioned, they never deal with surge brakes as campers use electric. Either way, keep me posted if they find a cure.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Nauti Affair

Im having the same problem as BN now and my trailer is only 3 months old. I picked it up in Austin and drove to Nashvlle in April and it did great, now 3 out of 5 times I get a lot of loud noise when the surge engages. Sometimes I get a bad vibration, it still stops, but something isnt right. Suggestions?

Old 06-07-2004, 05:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "dampning shocks" are like a gas filled shock for car/truck in that they should go to the full extend position when the trailer is in "idle" position. When you locked the emergency stop lever, how easy was it to push in on the ball coupler. There should be enough resistance to keep this "cycling" of the brakes from happening. That's where I would look first. I thought I was the only one that had, "Damn, we ain't never seen that before" kind'a problems.
Robert
Old 06-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

It was fairly easy to move by hand. Not like there was nothing there, but not enough that I could see it doing any good. I'm thinking both of mine are shot. Sure would have thought that they both would have lasted longer than a few months.

Somehow I don't see Eagle Trailers stepping up to the plate now.
Thanks
Old 06-07-2004, 04:44 PM
Registered

I'm not a fan of surge brakes to start with, and this has always been a problem with them. The "cycling". I personally like the vacuum over hydraulic set up with drum brakes, but it is EXPENSIVE. I've heard too many times of the pistons in the calipers seizing up for me to go to disc brakes yet, but I will always stay with the vacuum over hydraulics, they are too good.

Robert
Old 06-30-2004, 08:27 PM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, my trailer is finally fixed. Took the boat and trailer to a local place that works on 18 wheelers. (never went to the camper place)

They said that the wheel bearrings were on too tight (they had to use a breaker bar to take them off) and the wheel hubs were leaking. They think that water was getting in the wheel hubs some how.

So they replaced the wheel bearrings, wheel hubs, put new brake shoes on, and machined the drums.

Works GREAT NOW!!!

Now I am waiting to see what Rocket will do for me. I hope that they stand behind their product.

The bill was $845 and I bought the trailer new last year. This problem started last year - well before any warranties were up.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:29 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

bn, glad to hear it. Sure would have thought if the bearings were that tight, you would have seen flames coming from the wheels, or at least been sitting on the side of the road.

I just replaced both of my dampner shocks other day. Haven't tried it yet. The old ones were not as stiff as the new ones when I pushed/pulled them steady. They felt preety good in that regards, but when I would pull them out and then quickly push/pull them in short quick strokes, they had no resistance and moved freely.
Crossing my fingeres.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Liberator21
I agree with Reed on the damper issue (the small shock). If that is bad, the master cylinder will be actuated too quickly, then release too quickly, and set up an oscillation. That's the shutter. Hey Reed, I'm quite impressed with your knowledge of the old drum brake systems. They were also called "self energizing brakes". Not many people know that stuff any more. I've been into muscle cars since the late 70's, and learned a lot of that stuff along the way. Actually I'm impressed with most of the stuff I see you post. I'm knowledgeable enough to know that you know what you're talking about. Just figured I'd shoot that out to you.

Paul
Thanks Paul.... I work on antique cars for a living.. so I have workshop manuals dating back to early 1900's... so "self energizing brakes" were cutting edge back then... plus it helps to want to know what the parts you are changing do... rather than just replacing parts until the problem disappears.I'm one of the few people around that still know how to work on mechanical brakes.... now I really am making myself look old.....
Old 07-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

UPDATE
Dampner shocks did not fix it. So rebleed the system......still does it.

With a brain storm of an idea, had the wife pull the trailer while watching from the side lines. It's all in the design of the spring and shackles on a tandem axle with brakes on both axles. In short, the front axle will lift up and skip on the pavement shaking the trailer to smitherings. Only cure is to: never pull empty, or lock out the coupler. Not comfortable with no brakes.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Registered

very interesting topic. You stated that if you lock out the coupler, then you have no brakes. I dont know how long your trailer is, I imagine even if it were galvanized, a decent tow vehicle shouldnt have that much trouble stopping an empty trailer. Just my two cents. Brakes on a trailer assist due to the increased weight load of the tow vehicle itself and of course the load you are pulling. Doubling the workload of the vehicle with half the braking capacity it is originally equipped with doesnt equate well with Newtonian physics.

Quick Reply: Bucking trailer!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.