Blower Fuel System >

Blower Fuel System

Notices

Blower Fuel System

Old 05-17-2004, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Blower Fuel System

We are chasing motor shutdowns on are trial run.
Questioning the fuel system.

Plugs have nice tan ring however.

Does this fuel system sound sufficient to support 1000hp?

#10 suction line to tank.
#10 an drawing from that into 1/2npt port shutoff valve.
then to 1/2 npt filter head with wix highflow fuel separator.
then #10an to suction side of comp 140gph electric. # 8an to regulator
set to 8 lbs. attached to one side of fuel rail.

second out port of Wix 1/2 npt filter has #8an feeding Holley Highflow
Mechanical then # 8an to other side of fuel rail.

electric fuel pressure gauges on dash

Carbs are dual 850 demons.

Doe anyone foresee any problems with the above.

Please respond
Thanks
Gerry

Last edited by caveman; 06-14-2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Blower Fuel System

Why are you running from a dash 10 to a dash 8 line? I would run a dash 10 all the way around. Are you running a single or double feed to each carburetor bowl? I am assumming also you have a dash 8 return line running from your regulator back to your tank.

You should also install manual gauges at the regulator just to make things easier.

Just my 02.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:46 PM
Registered

Actualy Sutphen I will try that with the gastank caps good suggestion.
The electric pressure gauges show no drop at speed.

Krumbsnatcher all of the suction sides are #10. # 8,s are on the pressure sides of the pumps (Two per motor) feedin each end of the fuel rail( Two # 8,s per motor.) Regulator for the electric is located at the fuel rail. There are no return lines.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:26 PM
Registered

If that regulator is not a bypass type - there is your road block. A normal bypass does not flow enough to support two blower carbs.

You need to run a bypass regulator. The bypass is not in the path of the fuel restricting flow. Run a line from your fuel rail to the bypass regulator after trashing the normal regulator.

You can bypass back to the filter and not worry about a plumbing nightmare. My favorite mechanical is the Clay Smith Cams high pressure model. It flows more than enough.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Infomaniac
A normal bypass does not flow enough to support two blower carbs.
THIS SHOULD SAY A NORMAL REGULATOR DOES NOT FLOW ENOUGH. Cannot edit my posts.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:05 AM
Registered

If that regulator is not a bypass type - there is your road block. A normal bypass does not flow enough to support two blower carbs.

You need to run a bypass regulator. The bypass is not in the path of the fuel restricting flow. Run a line from your fuel rail to the bypass regulator after trashing the normal regulator.

You can bypass back to the filter and not worry about a plumbing nightmare. My favorite mechanical is the Clay Smith Cams high pressure model. It flows more than enough.
Infomaniac is saying what i was pointing too, you must have a return line you can jury rig one like above but that may lead to a suction problem for the tank. It is kinda like sucking a straw when it has a crack you can suck and suckand get no soda. By not running a fuel return line to the tank you can introduce that crack in your straw and hinder fuel flow. The proper technique is to run a return line back into your fuel entry point.

I have a thread on OSO that shows my step by step project of how i did mine, it was not that difficult and took about 2.5 hours.

Now if you do not run a return line you are going to dead head that pump. By the way what is the GPM on the pump and where is it located relative to your fuel tank, should be below.

just my .02
Old 05-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Registered

Infomaniac here is a shot of the plumbing
To the far left of the fuel rail is the # 8 from the 110gph mechanical
holley.To right is the Mallory 4207m regulator The # 8 feeding the regulator
is from the 140gph comp electric. Do you think this regulator is still the problem??
Attached Thumbnails Blower Fuel System-dscn0002.jpg  
Old 05-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Krumbsnatcher
Infomaniac is saying what i was pointing too, you must have a return line you can jury rig one like above but that may lead to a suction problem for the tank. It is kinda like sucking a straw when it has a crack you can suck and suckand get no soda. By not running a fuel return line to the tank you can introduce that crack in your straw and hinder fuel flow. The proper technique is to run a return line back into your fuel entry point.

I have a thread on OSO that shows my step by step project of how i did mine, it was not that difficult and took about 2.5 hours.

Now if you do not run a return line you are going to dead head that pump. By the way what is the GPM on the pump and where is it located relative to your fuel tank, should be below.

just my .02
I just read your post nice info and Job.

I have four tanks and two engines so Its gonna take a little more
time. What do you think about feeding a return back to these?
Attached Thumbnails Blower Fuel System-dscn0003.jpg  
Old 05-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Registered

CAVEMAN

You can run a circular circuit like you are suggesting, however, you pump will be deadheaded, that is why it is necessary to run a return line to the tank. Now I have seen setups where you divert the return line not to the tank, but to an existing cooler. By doing it this way you get relief for the pump and a benefit of cooler gas.

To do this run a return line from the reg to the cooler then simply run a return line from the cooler to T before your pump.

Now to answer your question yes you can run the return lines back to your filter/separator that will work. My only caution is if you pump is pumping 100gph+ you are going to dead head your pump and it will heat up and not last.

Just my 02.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Caveman:

What do you mean by motor shutdowns? Do you mean the motor starts laying down at high RPM? How much fuel pressure do you have at this speed? Why do you suspect the fuel plumbing and not the jetting?

If you have 8 psi in the fuel rail at speed, the fuel plumbing is doing its job. However, good points have been raised about the desirability of a bypass regulator. I just read the Aeromotive website. Go there if you want to get an earful about static regulators.

There is an easy way for you to avoid heating fuel in the internal bypass of an electric pump. I see that you have a mechanical pump in parallel with an electric pump/regulator. If you activate the electric pump with a Hobbs pressure switch you wouldn't have to worry about heating fuel up at low speed.

Because you have basically have a two speed pumping system, you avoid the problem of having an Aeromotive A1000 pump moving 1000 HP worth of fuel at idle and recirculating 99% of it. With that single pump system you almost have to recirculate through a fuel cooler if you go back to your filter, or go straight to the tank with a return line.

Quick Reply: Blower Fuel System

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.