Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Alpha Gen II drive bellows installation? >

Alpha Gen II drive bellows installation?

Notices

Alpha Gen II drive bellows installation?

Old 05-24-2004, 11:58 AM
Tonka Dave

Default Alpha Gen II drive bellows installation?

I am having problems getting the new bellows installed. I have the old ones out and the bell housing is loose. Shift cable and water hose are still attached. Looks like the sequence should be to install the exhaust hose first to the bell housing and then the transom. Next the drive bellows to the bell housing and then the transom plate. I have the exhaust bellows attached to the bell housing but can't get it on the transom plate flange. It seems to be too stiff to stretch it far enough to get it over the flange. I am going to heat it up with a hair dryer, as it’s been about 50 degrees the last few days and see if that helps. Also it appears to be a ***** to get the ring in that attaches the drive bellows to the bell housing. Is there a special tool for this and any tips on installing the bellows would really help. Is my sequence for installation right?

Old 05-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alpha Gen II drive bellows installation?

first bellows to install is the u-joint bellows attach it to the bellhousing then you can use the bell hsng to push the bellows on to the transom, then install the hinge pins, next install the exh. bellows transom end first after that install the aft end of bellows to bell hsng, mercury makes a special tool to aid in exh. bellows installation, it goes in trough the aft end of the bell housing and pulls the bellows over the flange on the bell hsng, i have done it without the tool but its definitely easier if you have access to the tool. hope this helps. make sure you use bellows adhesive

Gus
Old 05-25-2004, 01:08 PM
Tonka Dave

Are you sure we are talking about the same drive? You can't even see or touch the exhaust bellows connection to the bell housing if you do it last (you need to as the bellows is round and the flange it slides over is oval). The clamp can't be reached for tightening without tilting the bell housing which will pull the bellows off the flange. With the drive bellows in, there is no way to get at the transom connection for the exhaust bellows either. It is oval too and you can barely get at it with the drive bellows removed. How about the ring that holds the drive bellows to the bell housing? Is there a tool for installing it or a trick to getting it started? Thanks for your help so far, this really has me stumped!

Old 05-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Registered

this is definately not one of the easiest jobs for a first timer, you might want to invest in a clymer shop manual, well worth the investment. The tool i was talking about goes through the exhaust outlet in the bell hsng and grips the inside of the bellows and then you pull it onto the flange, then the tool holds it in place so you can tilt up the hsng and tighten the clamp. The best tool for tightening the clamps is a 1/4" rachet with extension and a 5/16 u-joint socket. By the way where do you live in MN, i grew up just south of the cities in prior lake.

Gus
Old 05-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Registered

There are quite a few special tools, but it can be done without most of them. There are special tools for removing and installing the u-joint bellows ring.

Gus
Old 05-26-2004, 09:36 AM
Tonka Dave

Thanks for the help and advice. I got it together using the sequence I thought would work. I used a 1/2" wooden dowel inside of the exhaust bellows to get it on to the transom after I heated it with a hair dryer (still was about 55 degrees outside). I then took a propane camp stove cylinder and wrapped the bottom of it with about 1/8" of duct tape to exactly fit the inside diameter of the bell housing and used it to install the ring that holds the bellows to the bell housing. It worked great! Then I stuck my hand inside the drive bellows and pushed it on to the transom plate and installed the hinge pins. I live in Plymouth about 2 miles from Lake Minnetonka and Wayzata.