Why Doesn't Merc Use Synthetic Oil? >

Why Doesn't Merc Use Synthetic Oil?

Notices

Old 05-24-2004, 08:31 PM
DONZIMAN97

Hey,

With all this talk about synthetic oil, I was curious as to what the perks of it were? Why does Mercury not use it 'from the factory' ? Is there a particular reason or is it just not recomended?

If anyone has information regarding oil usage for a 502 EFI, currently 50hrs since rebuild, please post.

Thank you
Donziman

Old 05-24-2004, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Why Doesn't Merc Use Synthetic Oil?

because if you drive it normal and don't beat the crap out it, and change it properly, You really don't need it . SO I've been told.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:54 PM
DONZIMAN97

Thanks, CAP07

WHY should I use synthetic oil?

Somebody please reply on the best synt oil to use, and I do run in poker-runs, and try to stay in front but the little engine just DOS'NT have enough pony's. IT LOOKS GOOD TYING THOUGH. I DON'T HAVE THE FASTEST DONZI BUT I'M KNOWN FOR HAVING THE BEST CREW, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. AND DON'T REPLY THAT I NEED BABY OIL, I HAVE PLENTY OF THAT !!!!

Old 05-25-2004, 05:54 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

while I am sure syn is an excellent product ...Not sure its neccessary for the average Joe ...I have run automotive engines for 30 years on Dyno oil ..most with 200K miles or more with NO oil related problems ..Having said that ....my port motor got hot last weekend and the oil pressure dropped from 60 to 20lbs. ....I have "heard" that is one advantage of syn oil ..will not loose Viscosity at high temps ...
Old 05-25-2004, 07:52 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=offthefront]while I am sure syn is an excellent product ...Not sure its neccessary for the average Joe ...I have run automotive engines for 30 years on Dyno oil ..most with 200K miles or more with NO oil related problems ..Having said that ....my port motor got hot last weekend and the oil pressure dropped from 60 to 20lbs. ....I have "heard" that is one advantage of syn oil ..will not loose Viscosity at high temps ...[/QUOTE

This is the reason I use Synthetic. It's that one time the temps go sky high when you don't see it or hear the buzzer The extra money seems worth the Insurance of "possibly" saving the engine.
A lot of opinions on this subject
Old 05-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been beaten to death on here since OSO's inception. Basically much of the literature states if you change oil like you're supposed to don't waste your money. If you're prone to not be so routine, perhaps synthetic is for you because it doesn't break down as soon. The only other benefit of synthetic is it's heat risistance capabilities. Personally I think for this reason it's best used in the drives.

As far as Mercruiser products, I believe thier oil to be simple generic oil like you find at Advance auto. If I'm wrong tell me where and how Mercruiser got into the oil business...
Old 05-25-2004, 12:47 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Merc is coming out with their own synthetic oil. Saw it at the Miami show, it'll be in a red bottle. Same weight as the non-synthetic oil.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 05-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Registered

Merc's standard oil I've been told is made by Kendall........definately a good brand.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:04 PM
Registered

FWIW--I've been using the CASTROL synthetic/dino mix oil in my SR357 454's for 4 years--it's a good compromise and in my mind offers best of both worlds.

Poorsche
Old 05-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Grease

IMHO, the best way to see what your oil is doing is to run a $12 oil analysis. You can tell if your engine has an issue and determine if the oil has any life left in it to guide you to the next oil change.

Quick Reply: Why Doesn't Merc Use Synthetic Oil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.