New oil filter study released

Notices

New oil filter study released

Old 05-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New oil filter study released

"The Amsoil would have to be another viable candidate since it filters much better than the Mercruiser and it flows almost as well". The merc filter with it's large pores is a "bowling ball" filter; lots of grit gets through.

Amsoil filters trap down to to 1/10th of a micron and flow about equal. No brainer.

Add Amsoil Marine 15w40 Totally synthetic oil with corrosiion inhibitors and change it at the recommended manufacturers specs and you have the absolute best combo.

Also remember, synthetics flow better and would make it through a filter faster.

I researced this up and down and it always comes back Amsoil oil and Amsoil Filters if you want the very absolute best period. This is only for those who want absolutely the best and will pay around $50/engine/change. It may be overkill but I change my own oil usually 2 changes per season so $ 200 for going this route $ 300 for 3 changes. My marina service charges $80/engine with regular oil out of some drum and I looked once and that drum was a straight 30wt they probably get in volume for 99 cents/qt or less. I use Amsoil Aff 4 stroke oil in my tractor equiptment and their 2 stroke oil as well and you can tell how much better the engines operate. I have concerns of "moly" which is a powder substance added to RP and Cummins bans it as it causes the potential for early valve train wear as seen at this website review http://www.performancemotoroil.com/Royal_Purple_info and Mobil-1 is only fully synthetic from Grade1 fraction base in the 15w50 weights and the motorcycle oils which cost $ 8.99/qt. Amsoil is all from grade 1 stock.
Attached Thumbnails New oil filter study released-hs806.jpg   New oil filter study released-filter-efficiency_sml.gif  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-27-2004 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The guys at National swear by this and I do too! http://www.amsoil.com/products/ame.html 15w40 marine
Lots of corrosion inhibitors/friction reducers and low volitility so it dosen't form sludge at high engine operating temps. Find me something better and I will switch! Mercury says "we haven't had the time to test synthetics" that's why they still recommend their blend of conventional oils. No other synthetic oil is specifically designed for marine use and has added corrosion inhibitors for the marine environment except the one at the above website made by Amsoil.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-27-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Grease

Originally Posted by Rookie
Let me know if I read the study right. It appears to me that the Premium Purolator (not PureOne) has good filtering capabilities, and excellent flow. That seems to be the only one that has both, and would be the best choice?
I believe the regular Purolator (PremiumPlus, not PureOne) would be a good choice for a boat based on this study. I would feel fine about using one on my 210HP bowrider, but on your go-fasts, I would feel much more comfortable using a K&N 3002, Amsoil SDF24, or Hastings LF279 because their construction is so much more robust than your garden variety $3 Purolator PremiumPlus.

Unfortunately, I had to draw the line somewhere, but I wish I would have tested the Merc Racing filter. I suspect (don't know until the media is tested) that the media is the same as the smaller Merc. This would give it the same filtration but even higher flow because of the bigger can having more filter area.

When I started out with taking apart the small Merc and the small WIX, my intention was just to compare these two filters to see if there was something special about this "marine" filter. Six months and over 20 filters later it has shed more light about what I want to put in my cars (I like Baldwins -- mid priced, solid construction, decent flow and filtering). My gut feel on boats is go with the Merc racing if you want to stay Merc. For the extra $3 difference there is no reason not to go with more media and a bigger can. If you want some better filtering and not hurt flow, try the Amsoil, Hastings, and K&N (in no particular order).

And as Hydro says, go with a synthetic in the crankcase. In case you didn't see it here are virgin oil analysis on possible boat oils.

http://home.earthlink.net/~memphis3/boatoilsweb.htm

Then do an oil analysis on your oil and you can see how much you are depleting the additives and what you are shearing the viscosity down to.

I am running a test on my boat right now. I have Merc's 25W40 dino in right now with 13 hours so far this season. I am going to run it 30 hours and do an oil analysis, then I'll do the same with a synthetic. I'll post the results and you will be able to see the difference between the two. You can then make up your mind what you want to run. I suggest you do the same if you are running a dino today.

Enjoy,

Grease

Old 05-28-2004, 08:01 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought the baldwin 1428 and it didn't fit becuase it was too long.
Which of these filters is shorter, and still has good flow and filtering?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Grease

If you don't have the length for the longer series filters such as the Baldwin B1428, you are going to have to go back to the short series:

Baldwin B360
Merc
Hastings LF283

Not sure on K&N, I believe it is 2002.

Old 05-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you by chance look at the Fram HP6?.. anyone?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2004, 10:05 PM
AKA NORTECHJ
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes how about the fram hp6? this is what i have used for some time
Old 05-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I hear they go for 20 bucks each is that true? Racing filters right?
Old 05-28-2004, 10:35 PM
AKA NORTECHJ
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes about $18 they hold 2 quarts and have a larger remote adapters mine has #16 line in and out
Old 05-29-2004, 12:32 PM
Grease

Sorry, I didn't test the HP6. Sounds like it is nice.