Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
impeller change /queation >

impeller change /queation

Notices

impeller change /queation

Old 05-29-2004, 11:44 PM
RonA

Default impeller change /queation

ICHANGED the impeller in an alpha 1 and it says 9manual I need tio put in foward gear to install loweerr. why is this. can I install the lower w/o putting it in foward. thanks,Ron

Old 05-30-2004, 05:57 AM
novaII

Default Re: impeller change /queation

it is for shift linkage alinement.in forward its for and aft which lets you pull the drive and like wise reinstall.look in the front of the drive half way up in the center of the drive and you will see the link and why it needs to be in forward.once the drive is off it will be easy to see

Old 05-30-2004, 08:45 AM
RonA

Thank you for the reply. I can't see why the drive needs to be in foward. Please help. Ron

Old 05-30-2004, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shift linkage that connects the upper to the lower has a "U" shaped socket from the upper half. It is splined to the lower. It rotates in the Z axis (same as a pole through the center of the boat). When the drive is in "forward" it is facing parallel to the keel of the boat. That allows it to slide backwards (Or forward) to the shift linkage "shoe" that is on the bellhousing. If the drive or the boat are not in forward that show will not slide into the channel that is formed by the socket. Kinda hard to explain, a pic is truly wort a 1000 words. Not to be a smartas$, justa suggestion...you really should buy a good factory service manual. I have owned one for every single boat I have ever owned (any mechanical thing really) and they pay for themselves 100's times over if you enjoy doing mechanical stuff on your own.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:26 AM
novaII

with just dropping the lower part it doesnt need to be in forward but if you pull the drive off complete it will need to be in forward and at that time you will see why

Old 05-30-2004, 02:52 PM
Registered

I separated my alpha to do the impeller too. I have done this a few times and I am an "in forward" fan.

But the splined link on the lower of the outdrive has drifted to neutral. Would somebody remind me... when I'm in forward does the prop rotate CW but not CCW?
(By hand, out back)
Or does it stop to the right and freewheel to the left. (CCW)
I forgot. And I figured Ron A might want to know as well in case ne ends up with the boat in forward and the lower half of the drive in neutral.
This way I can rotate that spline the right direction and everything will be good when I get it back on.

Thanks.

Sorry to hijack the post Ron, hope that my question is useful to you too.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I replaced mine I put the drive in forward before disassembly.
To be sure it has engaged you turn the prop shaft CCW. It shoud not turn.
Once the lower unit is off, be careful not the turn the prop shaft CW or else it will pop put of gear. You can turn the vertical gear case shaft CW, as you would to install the impellor, just don't turn that one CCW.

As I reinstalled the lower section I had to turn the prop shaft CCW to align the splines on the gear case shaft. Once it started to engage I then aligned the shift shaft splines and it all went together perfectly.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:50 AM
Registered

Thanks Iggy.
Won't turn CCW while in forward. I second guessed myself.