Help-454 MPI Engine won't crank, just clicks >

Help-454 MPI Engine won't crank, just clicks

Notices

Help-454 MPI Engine won't crank, just clicks

Old 05-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help-454 MPI Engine won't crank, just clicks

My motor ran fine on the hose on the lift. I dropped it in the water, and then just a clicking. Everything dies for a second, blower etc, then comes back after I turn the key. I have tested the batteries, cleaned all the connections at the soloniod and the ground on the motor.

I just had the started replaced last August. I am betting it is the starter. How hard is it to replace one of these on your own. I am far from a master mechanic, but I do struggle through most things.

Any feedback so I can get on the water this weekend would be appreciated.

Thanks,

NetGain
Old 05-30-2004, 04:01 PM
Registered

Default Re: Help-454 MPI Engine won't crank, just clicks

probably the solenoid on the starter. Taking the starter out is easy if you can reach it.Just 2 bolts from the bottom close to the flywheel. I have twins and had to lay across my motor and work upside down,,still a 5 min job. Take your wires off first(kill the power first) and label them so it goes back the same.Make a scetch. Also better if you can have yours rebuilt so you know you have a marine starter(safer)if you have one now,many older boats I've had didn't.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:52 PM

I agree will cooltoys61, probably your solenoid. Check you battery voltage. Should be around 13.5 volts. If below 12.6 your starter may not enough amps to turn. Im not a betting man but I would bet on the solenoid. Just make sure you disconect the battery first before diconnect the starter. Have a good weekend.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the bolts are the 9/16 head (older GM style) you need to grind the socket to clear more easily. If that is the case once the inside aft bolt is out grind the flats so a 12mm will fit and you will have an easier time if you have to do it again. You can get new bolts that have the smaller head but it is just as easy to grind them down.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:24 PM
Registered

Thanks for the feedback. I will let you know how I make out. May be next weekend before we get to this now.

Have a great weekend.

Net Gain
Old 05-31-2004, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check to see if there is an additional solenoid. Most Merc I/o's have them. it is a small solenoid usually near a 60 amp red breaker switch . First see if this gets juice, then jump the 2 large terminals on top together and if starter and built in solenoid is good motor will crank. I've seen problems with harnesses and have replaced many keyswitches. If you have to replace starter, I've found out that using a flex head gear wrench works wonders in tight spots ! Hpoe this helps, If not I'll try to give more advise ,BBB
Old 05-31-2004, 08:28 PM
Registered

NetGain,
Last Nov. my port engine was cranking and running fine too ... After it's trip from FLA to NJ it decided it did not want to fire at it's new home. Kept cranking it the the point it was just 'clicking' Checked battery, cables ground wires .. still NG. Finally, went ahead and changed out the starter, thinking that was the problem, and it still was just clicking. ((Ended up draining the block manually and winterizing it)) Come spring (couple weeks ago) re-visited the problem ... noticed that all power to that motor was weak. Trim, tilts were also making a clicking noise too I couldn't figure it out ... so I called in the 'pro' $$$ $$$ What he found, after running new ground wires, checking, etc etc, is that I had cooked one of my dual battery switches. We jumped it out of the picture and engine fired. $24.99 in parts, $120 in diagnosis and engine running again.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:08 AM
Registered

It's either the solonoid or the starter. Mine did the same exact thing......turned out to be the starter.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Registered

Tap on the starter with a hammer, It should start and you can get away with this a few times. This means the problem is with the starter. This old trick works almost every time starter begins to wear out. I would replace both as cheap insurance and stay away from reman electronics.

Roby
Old 06-01-2004, 06:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Talking Re: Help-454 MPI Engine won't crank, just clicks

Also make sure its in neutral. Sometimes they will give you a click until you are all the way in. The slave sounds like a good place to start to diagnose. Jump across the two top post on the slave solenoid and see what you get. If nothing its the starter, if something its the slave.

Pwrbt33
Offshore Performance
1-877-GOFAST1

Quick Reply: Help-454 MPI Engine won't crank, just clicks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.