Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Thinking of adding an oil stat... >

Thinking of adding an oil stat...

Notices

Thinking of adding an oil stat...

Old 06-04-2004, 02:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Thinking of adding an oil stat...

I measure the temp in the pan... that way if there is a component failing in the engine... the first thing you will see is a tempurature spike....
Old 06-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
I've got a Keith Eckert and I am seeing high oil temps. I just rebuilt the seawater pump and if that doesnt do it.. I will by pass the stat and see if that helps. I can get my return oil to 260-280.. way too hot.
What tempature engine coolant tsat are you using?

BT
Old 06-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BT,
I am using a Stainless Marine crossover with a 142* stat. Motor ran well this weekend, saw 140-150 water temp and after hard run oil temp would go over the 250 mark. That is at the remote filter pad after the oil has visited my 3" x 15" cooler. Oil bypasses have been blocked, all the oil is going through the outside system. I can feel the hoses to the stat and cooler are getting cold warm as they should. Hot oil is at far end of cooler, or the water output end. I am running 30* total timing with the dist locked in. Motor has very long rods and no one can tell me if I should have more or less timing. I did run it at 36* and 34* and didnt see any difference.

I am going to bypass the stat and see what happens.
Any ideas

Dick
Old 06-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Registered

Mine are different animals then yours Mr. G as I run cc. Nonetheless, I tried everything under the sun to get oil temps down, blocked bypasses, large coolers, eliminate 90* elbows in plumbing, even changed engines after wiping out bearings due to 270F+ oil temps.

With all the changes I got to about 225F cruise and 260+ WOT. Very dissappointed!! Then I decided to remove my engine coolant tstats. Actually I just removed the guts and reinstalled the housings so there would be some flow restriction. I still cannot believe the difference!! Now I run around 200-210 cruise and I can go WOT indefinately and never exceed 230F. Funny thing is my water temps are really not that much different than before, although they run cooler at cruise... 130-140. They go to 150F WOT. Used to run about 155F all the time. If I were you I would definately try the no stat idea. Engine coolant temps seem to have a direct impact on oil temps from my experience with twin 468cids.

Dave
Old 06-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

I ran this setup on my last engine, 513" motor 690hp and never had a problem with it.. But I will keep it in mind. The water temp is at 58* lately, so I know the motor would take for ever to warm up. I think the oil stat is the culprit. I will know when I bypass it.. I will keep everyone posted after the next test..
Thanks
Dick
Old 06-06-2004, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Blue,

Are you sure you were flowing adequate water volumes through the oil coolers? Depending on how your raw water was plumbed, it is possible that your thermostats were choking the flow through your oil coolers. I know you probably already ruled this out, but just checking...\

mc
Old 06-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Blue,

Are you sure you were flowing adequate water volumes through the oil coolers? Depending on how your raw water was plumbed, it is possible that your thermostats were choking the flow through your oil coolers. I know you probably already ruled this out, but just checking...\

mc
I run closed cooling Mc, so the tstats I removed are not is the flow path of the raw water. What amazes me is the direct impact my engine coolant (antifreeze for me) temps have on oil temps. When I dropped 20F in coolant temp by removing the tstat, I dropped 20F+ in oil temp. That is twice as much impact as all other changes combined that I did to the lube system, and I did just about all of them!

BT
Old 06-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Mr. G.,

Do I understand correctly that you measure your oil temp AFTER the cooler and it is above 260? Yeow! I measure mine BEFORE the cooler and I get nervous if it goes above 240. I wonder what the temp is before the cooler on your setup? Does your oil pressure stay up when the motor is revved up? What does the pressure do at idle. Anything above 240 on mine and the oil pressure drops to 10 at idle however it comes right back to 35-40 lbs at about 1200 rpms. What oil are you running? If your motor can live at those oil temps than I am impressed. Keep us informed on any changes you make to lower your oil temps. Good Luck.

I hope to see you out there somwhere this year.

See ya, Doug
Old 06-08-2004, 04:08 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Doug,
I am running Royal Purple RP51. And yes it scares me. I did check temp of the oil filter canister and it was much lower, so I am not sure all things are accurate. But I did have an issue with my oil psi gauge this weekend, never before. It usually shows 70psi cold and then will drop to 40 at an idle when hot, but this weekend it pegged the meter a couple of times. I may have a problem with the sender, I am hoping. New Fram HP6 filter.. oh the joys of boating..

Dick
Old 06-08-2004, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be running one of the CP Performance 1000 horse coolers with the oil t-stat built in. My hope is the large cooler is slightly overkill, but the t-stat will allow 215 degrees when running. My sender is in the pan, which will result in the highest oil temps being monitored and like Reed said if temp suddenly spikes it will at least give me a chance to catch something before a catastrophic failure. Someday when I get my motor installation and complete rigging done I will post how it works.
Craig