Notices

Speedmaster

Old 06-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedmaster

Just bought a boat with number 3's and B/W 72c's. The boat came with no manuals for any of the driveline. I want to change the oil in the drive and trans before the weekend.

Can somebody with a borg/warner C72 manual post the proper oil change prosedure and preferred type of oil. As well I need this info for a number 3ssm drive as well.

Is the tank on top of the transom plate the reserve & fill for the drive??
What is the best oil to use in a speedmaster??

I will buy manuals I just need this info before the weekend.

Thanks
Russ
Old 06-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Re: Speedmaster

Russ- I'll be brief to get you started. I looked at the Mercruiser Service Manual for The Speedmasters. I use the Mercury High Performance lube in my SSMV's though OSO members have had good luck with others. What I just learned is that the SSMIII is unique in that it has THREE drain/vent plugs to deal with to properly fill the drive. You have the normal lower plug plug for drain/fill. The O-ring on the plug often dries out and can allow water to seep in. Change it often. On top,you have the normal vent plug on the left side looking at the stern. The SSMIII has an auxillary plug on the rear cover , is high on the cover and is on the very back of the cover. BOTH of these upper plugs must be removed to bleed all the air out. Fill from the bottom until fluid comes out the auxillary plug hole. Insert that plug and keep filling until fluid comes out the top vent. Install top vent plug before installing drain plug at bottom of drive. Don't tell anyone, but I found the easiest way to load 6+ quarts of lube is to buy the Mercury manual hand pump and steal the fitting at the end of it that screws into the lower unit. I attach the fitting to a hose and connect to a CLEAN reversible 12V pump setup used to change engine oil. I flip the switch to pump in instead of sucking out. Then I grab a cold one with a big smile on my face. The SSMIII doesn't have a separate fill bottle or expansion bottle unless you have a standoff box. Then it will have an expansion bottle. My SSMV's have no bottle connected to the drives unless I'm losing my mind which is possible. My Hubers vent to an expansion bottle. I suck the fluid out and use the type F that's indicated on the tagon the dipstick. I apologize for the length of this, but the manual covers all the Speedmasters separately and doesn't even cover the sixes. I hope this helps!
Old 06-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Registered

Thanks Lmarth thats a start
Old 06-22-2004, 01:21 PM
Registered

I agree on the Merc HP Gear Lube for the drives. I have #3 drives and builder recommended the Merc Lube. Drained and filled as described above. I also have the BW 72C transmissions and they recommend any quality ATF.

What I can't figure out is why I have to fill the drives almost every weekend. There is a small glass window by the upper fill hole (inside transom plate) and it has a mark to indicate full. In less than 12 hours of use I have had to add a full quart to the drives (1/2 quart to each). I have heard others say they do the same, but no knows where the fluid goes. Is this normal?

Doug
Old 06-22-2004, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the number 3 drives.. you don't fill up into the reservoir... you fill to the top vent hole on the drive... when the fluid expands... it then comes up into the reservoir... but the window and drive level don't mean anthing on the #3... I think it is a left over from the trs... I have the manual and it says to fill only to the top vent hole...
Old 06-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Doug- You guys are starting to scare me. I hope you're all sitting down, but the Mercruiser Service Manual for Speedmasters (Section 1B-3) says "Disregard Oil Level Line on resevoir sight window" ! They have a picture of the transom pointing to ahalf dollar sized disc on the transom labeled "a". Under the picture, it says a-Oil level line (Disregard). It repeats this verbage twice. With standoff boxes and without. To check fluid level, it says fill to the top vent plug. They say don't do it hot as expansion can cause hot fluid to squirt out when the plug pops loose. Hopefully someone on theboard who deals with every day can help. I'll do what I can. I can't explain the fluid loss which is substantial. I'd fill it to the upper vent plug and see if the fluid level is stable after that. I had one of my drives show a tablespoon of milky fluid when I first popped the drain plug. Needed a jewlers screwdriver to remove dried,caked O-ring residue. New drain plug and all has been well. Upper vent plug can be a b**** with Mayfair steering. Found some neat plugs advertised in Hot Boat from I believe Arizona Speed And Custom that have a Hex head. Obviosly, you can only use those on the top. Let me know how you make out
Old 06-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Registered

Reed does your manual give a capacity for drive oil?

If the B/W takes ATF what kind? type F or DEX..?

Is there a drain plug that I will have no problem seeing on the 72C?

Thanks
Russ
Old 06-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lmarth
Doug- You guys are starting to scare me. I hope you're all sitting down, but the Mercruiser Service Manual for Speedmasters (Section 1B-3) says "Disregard Oil Level Line on resevoir sight window" ! They have a picture of the transom pointing to ahalf dollar sized disc on the transom labeled "a". Under the picture, it says a-Oil level line (Disregard). It repeats this verbage twice. With standoff boxes and without. To check fluid level, it says fill to the top vent plug. They say don't do it hot as expansion can cause hot fluid to squirt out when the plug pops loose. Hopefully someone on theboard who deals with every day can help. I'll do what I can. I can't explain the fluid loss which is substantial. I'd fill it to the upper vent plug and see if the fluid level is stable after that. I had one of my drives show a tablespoon of milky fluid when I first popped the drain plug. Needed a jewlers screwdriver to remove dried,caked O-ring residue. New drain plug and all has been well. Upper vent plug can be a b**** with Mayfair steering. Found some neat plugs advertised in Hot Boat from I believe Arizona Speed And Custom that have a Hex head. Obviosly, you can only use those on the top. Let me know how you make out
Yeh the no oil in the window is what made me start to wonder if I had a drive oil problem. Kinda went oh %^&$# when I saw no oil in there. However just serviced or not this is a new to me boat and I want to do all the fluids so I know where I am at.

Russ
Old 06-22-2004, 02:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The manual shows 9.38 quarts for a SSMIII which is more than the SSMIV/V's with spacers.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Russ- I like the way you think. It's best to baseline everything so down the road if something changes, you know where you started. And there is no such thing as a dumb question. There's a lot of expertise on this web site--Lou

Quick Reply: Speedmaster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.