Starter....???

Notices

Starter....???

Old 06-25-2004, 07:37 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter....???

Well I finally got the spair mill running on the floor last night with the help of Crazyhorse thanks again Dave. But the starter is way loud! I put this motor together with parts I bought fron all over but used my old flywheel and starter. Might shims help? I've never had to shim one before but........never say never...
Old 06-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Default Re: Starter....???

anyone???
Old 06-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can insert a bent-open paperclip inbetween the starter gear and the flywheel it's probably fine as it is.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Registered

I actually had a big block chevelle in high school with a noisey starter. I installed a shim and it got louder! I ended up having to file down the mounting surface of the starter in order to have the gears mesh perfectly.
That was the only time I had to do that.
Try a shim, see if it gets better. There's no better time than now (while it's on the floor).
DS
Old 06-25-2004, 10:59 AM
jhnrckr

If the starter gear is not disengaging fully from the flywheel then you will need a shim. It will sound like you are trying to start it while you already have the motor running, only a lot less dramatic.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

the noise is more like a bad grind.....I took the bell housing off and it looked like it was meshing fine about 2/3 of the way accross the gear...
Old 06-25-2004, 01:10 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

First make sure you have the correct mounting bolts. You can not use standard bolts. You must use GM starter bolts. GM bolts have a knurled shaft. The knurled section of the bolt should protrude up from the starter into the engine block. Also you need to determine if you have a metric starter or a standard. They will interchange, but you must have the correct bolts to match the starter. Now if you have the right starter with the right bolts about the only thing left is a worn flywheel or starter gear. Occasionaly you might find a broken block around the outside starter mounting hole. You should check this for cracks. Shimming is more hit and miss. If the starter is too close, install starter shim across both bolts. If it is too far away just shim the outside bolt, this will rock the starter in towards the flywheel. After saying all of this. I would save youself alot of trouble and buy one of those newer gear teduction starters with new bolts and be done with it. The Lester number is 6449. you should be able to pick one up most anywhere. Be careful about buying them too cheap. There are alot of Chinese knock offs around that will not last in salt water use. (Cheap metal)

Steve Hixson
Old 06-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Registered

Listen to Steve!! Just went through that "not quite right bolt up" thing today. Cost us a starter drive, and time, and grief, and I guess a weekend on the water. --- jp
Old 06-26-2004, 12:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Zanie
I actually had a big block chevelle in high school with a noisey starter. I installed a shim and it got louder! I ended up having to file down the mounting surface of the starter in order to have the gears mesh perfectly.
That was the only time I had to do that.
Try a shim, see if it gets better. There's no better time than now (while it's on the floor).
DS
Yep Me too. found out shims were sending me the wrong way. had to break out the German Planing Machine.... (file)

Roby