IAC Installation >

IAC Installation

Notices

IAC Installation

Old 06-25-2004, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAC Installation

Looking for some pointers on changing out my IAC on a 1994, 454 mag efi. Sounds like many of you have experience with this repair. I know it is located behind the throttle body, however I’m not sure on the steps to get at it. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Default Re: IAC Installation

pier3: It's about an $80 item from a dealer, same exact one you'd get from the auto dealership. It's fastened with two phillips head or hex head screws at 7 and 1 oclock. First disconnect the plug wihich is a GM watertight plug. remove the two fasteners then slide the IAC out. The outer round part you see is the electric actuator. Beyond that will be a plunger and a spring and the diamond shaped seat. When they go bad, it's usually corrosion and the plunger sticks. This can be checked with a Merc Scan tool. There is an IAC test in the software. If you have any question while you're testing or removing and replacing feel free to call me. My cell is 954-980-2643.

Steve
Old 06-25-2004, 03:37 PM
Registered

Steve, thanks for the info. Do I need to remove the throttle body in order to get at it?
Old 06-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

pier3,

You sholdn't have to, it would be after your throttle blades, although it might be under the throttle body and easier to get to if removed.

Steve
Old 06-25-2004, 09:51 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Scott,

I think I have a spare on board, I'll check in the morning and see if it has a part #. Suprisingly when I went to our local Chevy store (Maroone) they wanted $112 while the dealer price with some discount was something like $72. Retail form Mercury from the Sea Ray dealer (MarineMax) was $80. From SeaRay the IAC was black, from merc Hi-perf it's blue. I'll check my invoice files on monday and get back with you.

Hope you're well and enjoying those 2 days of summer you guys get up there
Old 06-25-2004, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez just tear down and refresh the throttlebody while you're at it. It can use a good cleaning behind the blades anyway and TB gasket kits are about 10 bucks. Failure to clean the TB assembly could cause your new IAC to stick if it is dirty enough.

Roby
Old 06-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys. I'm heading down to the river this morning to make some repairs.

Troutly I ordered my parts from mercruiserparts.com via Bam marine. The cost was $68 and dropped shipped directly to my house in 3 days. Where are you boating in MN? I play out of the Wabasha area. Actually I thought I saw your boat last year during the Liquid Jungle Poker Run
Old 06-29-2004, 08:44 AM
Registered

Here’s what it took in order to change the IAC: removed flame arrestor (as long as it was off I cleaned it up with a little gas ), disconnected throttle cable, removed the four support studs and slid throttle body off. The IAC sensor was located on the bottom attached with two screws. Replaced sensor, throttle body gasket (included with the sensor) and re-attached. The entire process took about a ½ hour.
Thanks for the help.