Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Won't engage forward/reverse >

Won't engage forward/reverse

Notices

Won't engage forward/reverse

Old 06-27-2004, 12:40 PM
kennythebus

Default Won't engage forward/reverse

Yesterday my son was driving 95 Formula 272 w 502/BravoI w/o any problems. He tied up next to another Formula as we have done forever. When he prepared to leave, he started the engine and put the shifter in forward, but the transmission didn't engage. Same thing with reverse. He checked the cable connections on the engine block and they seemed to be shifting. I am assuming a cable somehow busted inside the lower unit. Then he called this am to tell me that it didn't appear as if the unit was lowered in the water all the way and wondered if there was a fuse or something that might be "electronically" locking out the transmission. It seems to me that there is a fuse or something related to this. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

kenny

Old 06-28-2004, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Won't engage forward/reverse

Allways make sure your outdrive is down, if it is up to far the u-joints will not be able to engage the drive. This happened to me backing into a beach the other day.

Hope this helps

mark
Old 06-28-2004, 08:08 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Won't engage forward/reverse

If your lucky,, cable,,, if not,,, something in the upper gear set let loose. Was he shifting at idle? If it was shifted above 1,000 RPM on accident I would lean toward damage.

The best thing to do is pull off the back cap. You can see the gear set and shift assy right there. You will lose fluid,, if its shiny, theres your answer.