Hardware to fastening bolster seats to floor >

Hardware to fastening bolster seats to floor

Notices

Hardware to fastening bolster seats to floor

Old 07-06-2004, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardware to fastening bolster seats to floor

I have a '99 272 Islander with the factory mechanical drop-out bolster seats. There are 4 bolts on the plate that fastens each bolster seat to the floor. Recently the front 2 SS lag bolts have lifted out of the floor. I replaced the lags with the next larger (diameter) size, unfortunately these have also lifted up as well. Apparently from myself (250lbs) and my brother (230lbs) leaning back in them in stand-up position in rough water.

I've placed a screwdiver down into the hole and its hollow below the flooring in the area where these bolts attach.

Is there toggle hardware or some other SS fastener that anyone has found that can provide a stronger grip for the front end of these bolsters than a simple lag bolt setup? I'm surprised the factory ever found these to be acceptable. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks for any advice on this relatively minor issue.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Registered

Default Re: Hardware to fastening bolster seats to floor

go to westmarine or boatus they have ss toggle if they dont go large enough go to mcmaster .com
Old 07-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

the best but difficult fix is to remove the floor and glass in stainless back up plates and drill and tap them
suxs but you will only have to do it once
Old 07-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Registered

Klaw,

I was afraid someone would recommend that I needed to open it up to put in a backing plate. Just surprised that Baja wouldn't have done this in the design of the seats knowing the stresses involved with a bolster seat. I was hoping someone might have solved the problem with a special 3/8's or 1/2 SS bolt/anchor that opens up once its inserted into the drilled opening. As it tightens it would open up on the backside of the floor. Checked several hardware sites but haven't found anything yet.

Anyone else find any special hardware (toggle or anchor) that can solve this issue from above the flooring?
Old 07-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Registered

cut a hole in center floor section opposite bolster leg seal edges with resin install a 6 inch deck plate to allow access then install nuts bolts washers and backing plate.Screw in deck plates can be purchased at any marine supply store.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

I also have 272 baja-POOR WORKMANSHIP is there trade mark!! The drop in liner deal makes these boats a real pain to work on. I had same problem,put bigger lags in,they fell out,i now have galvanized toggle bolts but they loosen occassionaly. I also pulled out gas tank cover (in center of boat) and reinforced it because it flexed so much and was curving down in middle. I wasnt too surprized when i discovered that most of the screws under gas tank cover that hold liner to stringers missed there target or were snapped off. You'll have to reach thru access hole and unbolt the 7/16 bolts that hold your inside legs down to pull seats out to put toggles or whatever repair you choose to do. At least they put a couple of little aluminum plates under the liner for the inside leg bolts (don't drop them while unbolting seats or youll probably have to pull gas tk cover rear seat etc to recover them). Did your vent cowl fall off back of boat yet? Every 272 owner i talk to has also had problems with that coming loose (unless they baby the boat and stick to 1 ft waves and less),good luck,Smitty
Old 07-07-2004, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Agree.
Go to West Marine.
Stainless Steel toggle bolts.
Done.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:42 AM
Registered

articfriends et al,

Thanks for the feedback on hardware options. I think I'll try the SS toggle bolts first. Not sure what you meant by the vent cowl. I have a '99 272 Islander. What vent cowl are you referring to as other than these bolster seat bolts I've had no issue with the boat hardware. Figured that the bolster seat bolts coming loose was due to being 6'4" and 250lbs.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

Heatwave,i meant the trim piece acrossed the back of your transom behind the engine hatch/in front of the molded swim platform. I have talked to numerous 272/252 baja owners with the same problem,was curious if you also had it. The dealers solution was to caulk it back on,the caulk looks like crap and local boat repai shop wants 1200$ to pull piece off and glass back on correctly (i scrape caulk out and recaulk it every year for that much. Engine hatch hinges also have cracks around them where they are mounted to fibreglass-people step on engine cover towards transom carrying coolers caused over time,we try to step on middle of hatch towards seat to keep the weight off them. We always drive with cabin door open too,latch has ripped out where it is screwed to pasenger side several times,clarion anti-skip cd player skipped even in no-wake zones from day boat was new,factory cut hole too big in passenger side helm so only one of the four factory screws holding radio in actual hit anything,it also didn't have a rear support bracket! I like the way my boat looks but sure don't like how it was built! Has anyone else had these same problems with there baja 272/252 (mine is 2000,i bought new in august of 2000)Smitty
Old 07-08-2004, 10:37 PM
Registered

The only permanent fix is to glass stainless plate into the floor. Alternatively you can get a stainless toggle bolt called a Toggler. http://www.mechanicalplastics.com/toggle.html This one pictured is not stainless but they do make them. These are the best toggle bolts.

The method of the longest lasting fix is not that hard. Take a router and cut a deep square about 12 x 12 and insert stainless 10 gauge plate that is 11 x 11. Then mix resin and place fiberglass in layer over the steel. You will want to feather it over a large area then sand and paint. Done properly, this repair will outlast your boat.

Quick Reply: Hardware to fastening bolster seats to floor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.