Seawater Pump leak >

Seawater Pump leak

Notices

Seawater Pump leak

Old 07-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seawater Pump leak

I just upgraded to Bravo ones and had to add seawater pumps. I bought 2 of them off ebay and just started the boat today for the first time. One of the pumps (pulley) had a noticable shake to it while running and there was a steady leak of water from the neck of the pump. After shutting it down I could wiggle the pulley (while bolted to the pump shaft) ever so slightly. Its not a loose pulley so it must be the bearings in the pump neck if they haved any. I know these pumps are rebuildable, the impellers anyway, but will just an impeller take the play out of the pulley shaft and cure my leak, or am I SOL and should start looking for another pump.

Chris
Old 07-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Registered

Default Re: Seawater Pump leak

You are right, it is a bearing in the neck. See any metal? I don't think they can rebuild that part but I may be wrong. If you got a good deal throw it in the trash and buy the plastic housing. The race is more than likely pounded out and may never be true again. This is the heart of the cooling and will cost 1000s in damage. Just pitch it.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Registered

Just an update, I managed to rebuild the pump with new SEALED bearings. Its a bit of a job but a few hours of work saved the cost of a new pump. After taking it apart, the bearings came out in pieces. No internal damage to the housing, just the bearings came apart, so I may have been lucky. I cut the old bearing races out with a rotery tool (carefully), and had new bearings pressed on to the shaft, and the shaft put back in the housing. Fairly easy except the pulley plate (what the pulley bolts to) is sweated onto the pump shaft. It took all of a 20 ton press and heat to finally get it off. Unfortunatley when sweated on it will never go back on tight enough, but in my case I had access to a TIG welder and just welded it. Its a bit of a procedure, but I hate being told it can't be rebuilt.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nauticaL ILLUSIONS
but I hate being told it can't be rebuilt.

Good MAN
Old 07-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Registered

Hey Nautical,

I noticed that you were in Melbourne. I keep my boat in Micco. Anyways Intense marine in Miami has new pumps for $100 in case it doesnt work out. I posted a couple times about this. I dont think that is a pump I would screw with for that kinda money. From what I have gathered, the raw water pump is very important and also the manifolds/risers.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:05 AM
Registered

A $100. eh. Thats a steal. I've already tested it, good as new, actually better. With sealed bearings, no worries of grease contamination or water getting in. After having it apart I now know your bearings are only 2 bushings away from water. Kinda scary Anyways thanks for the info, consider it logged for future reference.