loss of shorepower/gen cuts off

Notices

loss of shorepower/gen cuts off

Old 07-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: loss of shorepower/gen cuts off

Short answer is yes. If you have ~120 volts on the input side, you should expect more than battery voltage coming out the output or DC side of the charger. What the manual says is if the fuses are good and you have 120 volts on the AC side, they say to disconnect (and mark) the wires on the DC side. Then you put power to the charger and put a meter across any + or - terminal on the DC terminal block and look for 13.5 to 15.0 volts which indicates the charger is producing output. When you disconnect the wires from the DC terminal block, all you're doing is disconnecting the batteries from the charger. I hope this helps. Let us know how you make out. --Lou
Old 07-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Registered

I'll let you know...thx.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you need to talk Charles Marine Products aboutyour charger, get the model number/serial number off the tag on the side of the unit. Customer Service- 847/806-6300 or Fax 847/806-6231. They may be able to send you all the troubleshooting/schematics info I have for my charger. As suggested elsewhere on this thread, you gotta make sure you've got 120 volts coming to the charger--Lou
Old 07-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Registered

Just checked voltage at the C-Charger- 0 Volts. I'm good at the shore cord but I'm losing it between the shore cord connection and the C-Charger. Is it possible thet the switch under the starboard side rear seat that switches from "ShorePower" to "Generator" is bad?
Old 07-11-2004, 08:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: loss of shorepower/gen cuts off

It seems as though you are in good hands with the voltage stuff here so I'm gonna go on about why the gen set stopped running. First check the oil level in the gen set. If the level is slightly low it will shut off. Second check to see if the ball valve is open to let water in to the gen, the next time you get to the water, crank the gen up and see if its pumping water. If not the impeller maybe bad. If no water in the exhaust, it will over heat the sensor on the exhaust and shut it off.Also make sure the electric fuel pump is running when you crank it up, it may have failed as well.

Just a few things to look at ya know?!

Pwrbt33
Offshore Performance
1-877-GOFAST1
410-827-0200
Old 07-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Registered

I've narrowed it down to an open neutral wire at the Shore Power/Generator switch under the back seat. Somewhere between where the shore power plugs in at the stern and another switch under the seat labeled Shore Power/110V. I may need to see if the actual shoreplower plugs are known to go bad. If so I detect that may be the problem. As far as the generator goes, I just replaced the impeller and the oil level is good. The water pumps fine out the side. It may have something to do with the open nuetral as well, not sure. Strange problem, but I may call Formula tech support at this point before I start ripping more things apart, especially considering I'm still under warranty! No Formula dealers within 180 miles! I really appreciate all of the help! May change the name of the boat to:

"Sofa King Broken"
Old 07-12-2004, 09:34 PM
Registered

Found the problem....Should have known better. The shore power cord was bad, even though I could meter the correct voltage at the end, the contact on the neutral wasn't connecting at the stern!!! Can I get the cord repaired or should I replace it? Thanks for all the input from all!
Old 07-12-2004, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

New Hubbell end plug will cost $20.
New 25' cordset with molded ends will cost $50.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Registered

Think I'll buy new....Thanks again!