Trailer lights >

Trailer lights

Notices

Trailer lights

Old 07-12-2004, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer lights

Noticed yesterday when applying the brakes that all the trailer lights light up. Got out and checked them and they all appear to be working. One thing I did notice is the right side brake light is not as bright as the left. So I swapped the two and same thing. The right side turn signal will not work with either lamp. Any suggestions?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:14 AM
Registered

Default Re: Trailer lights

Get LED's.... Best money I ever spent, no more headaches...
Old 07-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Registered

Bad ground?
Old 07-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Registered

Where should all the grounds be located? It's just the secondary light thats not lighting up.....when the parking lights are on...everythings fine....when you hit the brakes the right side lamp does not brighten...only the left. It's not the lamp either because if I swap lamps same thing happens.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bad ground. I just re-wired my trailer. I have a 7 way connector on my truck and one prong is a ground. I ran that wire, from the trailer side connector, to the brakes and then spiced it and screwed it in the frame for a ground by the tongue. Your brake lights should be grounded to the frame. Trailer connections are easily corroded from dunking in the water and are a PITA to diagnose. I always cover my connections with electrical grease. Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Registered

I would guess it's a bad ground also, you can ground them at every light if you have too but that's a little excessive usually one ground on the trailer is enough. Most that i have seen are grounded right at the front but if your just having problems with one light the wire coming out of the light may be broken.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:57 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Get LED's but check all your grounds.

Freaking trailer electrics..... the voodoo world of boating!

Kick, yank, spray, swear, sweat, splice, tape and sometimes it works for five minutes
Old 07-12-2004, 03:07 PM
Registered

actually this might pin point it more.....when I apply the brakes, all the lights light up. Sounds like a bad ground....but how the heck do I fix it?
Old 07-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Registered

If your trailer is like mine, they couldn't all light up with a bad ground.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Registered

Sounds like a bad ground - mine did the same thing this past spring when I bought a new ball mount. Alot of the trailer mfg just hook the ground wire to the trailer and let the ground go thru the trailer ball/receiver to the truck frame. New ball mount had no bare surfaces (it was powdercoated), so there was no good "path" for ground and the trailer lights did all kinds of goofy things. If you look at the wiring connector on the trailer, I'll bet you that there is no wire to the ground terminal, or if there is a wire, it is probably not connected to anything. My ground wire from the connector was just hanging inside the plastic loom, connected to nothing - the trailer co was depending on ground thru the trailer frame thru the trailer ball into the truck frame (and ground). I connected the ground wire from the connector (trailer side) to one of the bolts on the trailer frame giving me a dedicated ground to the truck and all my lighting problems went away!

Quick Reply: Trailer lights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.