Notices

egt info

Old 07-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default egt info

ok i would really like to put egt(s) on my motor in the boat. my issue is i have water jacketed cmi headders and have no idea how to gewt the probes in. if i got the really thin probes i might be able to drill through the area not jacketed but it would thin it way out. does anyone make some sort of an alum. spacer, or could i have my machine shop fab one out of like 1/2 alum then tap the probes into them? do i need 8 or can i just take a cyl off each side of the motor like whichever cyl. tend to run the leanest. any ideas or help would be great. i think with a blown motor running 9lbs of boost it would be a benifit to have them.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:10 PM
merlin540

Default Re: egt info

i have egt's in my cmi's on my blower motors in the #4 cyl on each engine. we fab'ed a sleeve to put in the header as close to the head as we could get it. so far so good and it works great see ya charlie amann

Old 07-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

When i dynoed my motor the shop had 1/2 in spacers that sandwhiched between head and headers (because we were using cmi elbowtops) w/probes in them. When i ordererd my lightning headers they were able to build them w/probe sockets. I went with probes on #7&#8,which is what i hear everyone does. I chose to use a Gaffrig egt gauge and probes because they matched the rest of my gauges,i DO NOT get a accurate reading from them (they read 250-300 degrees too hot) so if you buy some i wouldn't recommend gaffrig's. With water cooled headers you will have to mount probes closer to ports than is ideal but at least you will have some kind of reference.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Years ago, I did the egt thing and ened up drilling holes in the head right at the edge of the exhaust port. It was too close to the valve, but I was able to balance the cylinders to some point. I used a quick reacting thermocouple to get quick response. I hooked them to a Fluke temp meter. The hand held meters can be had fairly cheap and if I had it to do over, I now have CMI tube tops, I would put a spacer in between the upper and lower and poke them in there. I had CMI add O2 bungs to my headers, but I think they are too close to the collector plate, but it is all relative. I am running a pair of AF ratio gauges and it tells me that the motor is rich or lean, not very accurate, but I have burned anything down yet.. yet I say. Eventually I want to go to wide band O2 and tie it into my efi..
Good luck with it..
Old 07-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I to drilled my heads right next to the exhaust flange and use just the thermocouple not the threaded part.
Mine are in #6
I have one in each engine and also use the FLUKE duel meter and turn it on to so that it automaticly jump back and forth between the two engines.

I have one burnt out thermocouple. Anyone know where the best place to buy them is???