Prime Air Conditioner

Notices

Prime Air Conditioner

Old 07-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prime Air Conditioner

The water in the hose that runs from my a/c pump that's right near the pick up in the bilge drained out when I put my boat on the lift (forgot to close the sea cock to keep it from draining out). I can't get the hose primed now so no water is flowing thru the a/c unit. Does anyone have any ideas on a simple way to get the hose primed again? I can't get to the hose where it goes into the a/c unit so I can't fill the hose with water from there. I guess I could add a "tee" to hose somewhere where it's accessible in the bilge and hook a garden hose to it, but I'm looking for other ideas. Any thoughts will be appreciated...Thanks.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:49 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 981 Likes on 497 Posts
Default Re: Prime Air Conditioner

Sounds to me like the pump is mounted below the water line of the boat. Depending on what AC unit you have its probably not a self priming pump. I make the pumps (March) for Marine Air systems and a few others. The pump is liquid cooled and not self priming thus it needs to mounted below the water line. About the only thing i can recomend to you for a quick and easy solution is to jump in the water and force some water through the lines with a garden hose.........unless you want to add the "T" like you said or move the pump around for it to work properly...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had the same problem and all I do is take the hose off the valve with the valve open and the boat in the water and turn the air on then while the water is spewing up through the pick up put the hose back on and tighten the hose clamps. This works for me.

Mark
Old 07-18-2004, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wally/Mr. Cig,

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the time you all took to answer my question. I ended up putting a "T" in the line so all I have to do is hook up a garden hose to prime the line.

Norm