Pot holes in the cam lobes!! >

Pot holes in the cam lobes!!

Notices

Pot holes in the cam lobes!!

Old 07-22-2004, 08:44 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pot holes in the cam lobes!!

I am in the process of gathering information for my winter project. I will be building a N/A 540. Dart Big 'M' block, Dart Iron Eagle heads. I am currently looking into valve train components. I have been looking at Shuberts Roller "X" lifters. I talked to Joe about them, he tells me he has had great success with them. ( What else would he say). Anyway, I did a search for his lifters and came up with some mixed results. However, I didn't find anyone who is running his new Roller "X" lifters. Does anyone have any solid information on them? Also, how are his rocker arms?
Old 07-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dick --
Both of my ULTRADYNE cams did the same thing.
They both had at least two lobes that were going south.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know with the radiused lifters Schubeck recommends one of his cams, which is harder than standard ROLLER cams. He says you could use a standard roller cam, but his will work better due to the tougher material. I don't know if this is the case with his flat tappet stuff, but I do know his ceramic lifters are very hard. His cams cost big bucks, but better than wiping out lifters or lobes. I am still on the fence about these set ups and I'm glad some of you are trying it with decent success. I still run solid rollers and just plan on new lifters and springs every 50 - 75 hrs. Keep us posted and maybe in a couple of weeks we will see you at Hardy Dam!!!

Craig
Old 07-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Craig,
Look forward to meeting you up there at Hardy!! That is if my stuff is running. Usually isnt.. not my best luck spot on this earth. But that is ways off.. weekend after labor day is the usual weekend.
I had a friend use a cam with his radius lifters and didnt have good luck. You need to use his with the radius ones. I am confident that my cam was the problem, spalling, heat treat, bad casting?? Not sure, but the Lunati cam is in and ready to be run. I will see if it holds up. If by this winter is shows wear, I will look at rollers again. I have to have a bigger dia lifter (.904) cause the bores have been enlarged. Next thing is 4 valves per cylinder, that will make a flat tappet into roller cam perfromance. Ah the possibilities!! All we want is more power!! and reliability.. and change left over for Big Mac or what ever..

Thanks for the input guys.. all good info. Live and learn as they say..

Dick
Old 07-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Hey Steve what did the lifters look like on those lobes?
Old 07-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bullet racing cams ground the cam for my 632, radius lifters. I'm pretty sure they sent it back to Joe for the heat treat but can't swear to that.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:29 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mr Gadgets
The effects of cam spalling (if it is going to occur) are usually apparent prior to catastrophic failure, sometimes as soon as break-in is complete. If you catch it soon enough you can possibly avoid a very costly engine loss. I would suggest, if possible, pulling your lifters and visually examining your lobes after break-in and possibly again after a few hours of run time. Hope you work out the problem.
Bob
Old 07-25-2004, 08:44 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Thanks Rm,
I will take a look at them when I have some time on them. I cut an access hole in my manifold to be able to get to the lifter valley without taking the intake off (Sheet metal intake). Good info to know that it usually shows up early. I think the saving grace is the Schubeck lifters. I dont see how a regular lifter would have lived with the lobes in that condition..

Thanks
Dick
Old 07-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dick - they were flat tappet cams ( solid) the lifters didn't have any radius left - they were absolutly flat.