Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Why, why, why 496 HO overheating? >

Why, why, why 496 HO overheating?

Notices

Why, why, why 496 HO overheating?

Old 07-30-2004, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why, why, why 496 HO overheating?

Seems to me if the motor is going in to guardian mode it should set some kind of alarm condition that could be checked later with a scan tool. I know nothing of Mercs program so I am probably assuming something I shoud not. I like computer controls but I really hate programmer's that do not include any trouble shooting or service provisions in there programs.

Good luck and I know on 502mag oil coolers are most likely spot to be plugged with trash from impellers. Shell and tube cooler and sometimes you have to remove the cooler and run a rod through tubes to get them all cleaned out.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just another thing to peak at, take a look at the hose feeding the pump, and make sure it is not kinked anywhere, and that the clamps are tight on the back of the pump.
We had a bad hose feeding the water pump, kinked at the transom, and loaded with crystallization that reduced the inside diameter of the hose down to about 1/4 ". Motor would run fine under 3200 rpm , but as soon as you went above that the temperature would climb.
Good luck and post what you find.
Brian
Old 07-31-2004, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harper,
Something you may try, facing the front of the engine the lower hose, on the right hand side of the heat exchanger ( about 1- 1.5" diameter) can be removed, then remove the 2 blue drain plugs from the sea water pump. Hook up a water hose to the hose you have removed and back flush the engine. This is a quick, and easy way to flush any blockage from the oil coolers. Especially if you have twins, and access is difficult. I found a common fitting at the hardware store, that would allow me to clamp to this hose and get good pressure back through the system. The amount of debris that came out was alarming. You are definitely having a water flow problem if the exhaust is getting this hot, on the one side.

The back flushing may resolve this, but if this does not work, do not rule out, your pump housing may be worn out. As I said in an earlier post, I had to replace both of mine after 60 hours. The brass housings will erode in time in a river environment, and new impellers will not help, if they are worn out.

One other possibility, the 496's had an issue with the fittings on the lower side of the exhaust manifolds corroding and breaking. A recall was issued to replace these a couple years ago, to replace the original brass fittings, with aluminum ones. Even if this is not your problem, I would make sure this has been changed, before it is a problem.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:37 PM
Registered

Ok. here is the result. I changed the manifold temp sender and poof the problem is gone. The part has been superceeded three times already by merc.....I wonder why? Harper to answer ?, Yes it did log a manifold over heat in the comp... So basically the motor was running perfect and the bad sender caused it to go into gaurdian mode and all the bells and whistles to go off.......
Old 07-31-2004, 08:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Why, why, why 496 HO overheating?

Originally Posted by Tricky919
Ok. here is the result. I changed the manifold temp sender and poof the problem is gone. The part has been superseded three times already by merc.....I wonder why? Harper to answer ?, Yes it did log a manifold over heat in the comp... So basically the motor was running perfect and the bad sender caused it to go into guardian mode and all the bells and whistles to go off.......
That's why I asked the other day if everyone is happy with Smartcraft. I have a few friends who have the same thing happening. Alarms and whistles and no fire to put out. It's called ruining your boating day.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:08 PM
Registered

I think they over did it with the sensors......There is something to be said for simplicity. I did learn how to use the merc scan tool though......
Old 08-01-2004, 07:58 PM
Registered

I ran the boat Saturday and had my scan tool hooked up and the port exhaust was heating up to about 212 deg. and that's where the guardian mode kicks in. I know it's not a bad sensor since the riser was extremely hot to the touch compared to the others. Also when I look at the through hull exhaust the port is steaming and the others are not, so it's definitely getting hot. I pulled the boat into a marina and let engine cool then pulled the hoses that go into the bottom of the manifold and the big one on the heat exchanger and blew through it. then I started the motor to see if I had pressure and it seemed to have plenty. Hooked everything back up ran the boat 25 miles at 3600-3800 rmp and even into the 4000 range and temp never got over 175. Stopped at a bar on the river for a while then when heading back down river the dam thing was right back to heating up again 190's. The starboard manifold runs around high 160's to low 170's.

There has to be something restricting water flow to the port side. I will back flush the system like Island Hopper explained. I hope this fixes the problem. If the other manifold is staying cool then I can't imagine the sea pump is bad, thank God.

Any other advice would be appreciated from anyone following this thread.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What solved yor problem?