Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Been asked a million times.... Stained vinyl, wife's new clothes bled. >

Been asked a million times.... Stained vinyl, wife's new clothes bled.

Notices

Been asked a million times.... Stained vinyl, wife's new clothes bled.

Old 08-02-2004, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been asked a million times.... Stained vinyl, wife's new clothes bled.

Boat sat out in the rain waiting for the weather to clear on the milk run and wife's new clothes ran on the McLeod bolsters, I now have blue stitching and tan and blue marks on the seat.. So far tried spray 9, tough stuff, and zep vinyl cleaner, very lightly tried soft scrub w/ bleach... NEED suggestions on what to try next from least harsh to the final straw... heard mineral spirits, possibly acetone as a final resort ?? Any suggestions would be great.. Thanks Chris

Last edited by Chris288; 08-02-2004 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:28 PM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Default Re: Been asked a million times.... Stained vinyl, wife's new clothes bled.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the vinyl. Not sure on the threading, but it may work.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:30 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Been asked a million times.... Stained vinyl, wife's new clothes bled.

Once we got a plastic bag left on a seat in which the coloring stained the seat, and then a buddy who just had his hatch redone only to have a friends red beach towel stain it on the 1st outing, (not a happy camper) and yet another friends 3 yr old son left an artificial worm on his seat out in the hot sun. All 3 times no cleaner would even touch the stains. But after several hrs in the hot sun, the stains all dissappeared. So now we just let the sun remove the stains w/o having to use any harsh cleaners. Never been let down yet!
Old 08-03-2004, 12:49 AM
Registered

Hey it just happened to me at LOTO. My boy got a new shirt had it off to go swimming, put it on for boat ride to restaurant. Got there and his seat was orange. I had Oops cleaner, simple green, goop wipes, and my buddy had some industrial strenght vinly deck furniture cleaner which will make the white really white by the way. Nothing worked. Was starting to panic, found a spray can of goof off under the seat that i had left over from loosening up the silicone around my tips and tried it on my seat and the orange just ran off as i sprayed, wiped it off and it was over. My buddy's jaw dropped and I literally kissed the can. Can get it at Walmart. Carry it in the boat for those dang toenail polish marks on the inside of the boat. (And no it not from my toes guys)
Old 08-03-2004, 08:18 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies,, sounds like a quick swipe of the goof off might do it..
Old 08-03-2004, 09:00 AM
NoQuarter

The previous owner of my boat had this same problem. He used a cleansing solution that contained a little bleach. He got the vinyl clean, but within a year, the thread holding the seams together had completely 'dissolved'. The vinyl was perfect, but the thread was gone!

I think you need to be pretty careful here.

I ended up getting the boat much cheaper because of this and that winter removed the vinyl from the sun pad and brought it in to be re-stitched.

Good luck!

Old 08-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outlawinil
Hey it just happened to me at LOTO. My boy got a new shirt had it off to go swimming, put it on for boat ride to restaurant. Got there and his seat was orange. I had Oops cleaner, simple green, goop wipes, and my buddy had some industrial strenght vinly deck furniture cleaner which will make the white really white by the way. Nothing worked. Was starting to panic, found a spray can of goof off under the seat that i had left over from loosening up the silicone around my tips and tried it on my seat and the orange just ran off as i sprayed, wiped it off and it was over. My buddy's jaw dropped and I literally kissed the can. Can get it at Walmart. Carry it in the boat for those dang toenail polish marks on the inside of the boat. (And no it not from my toes guys)
You better clean that seat with water after putting that goof off on. That stuff will melt that vinyl.

Roby
Old 08-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Registered
VIP Member

What Ever You Do, do Not! Use Acetone I Made The Mistake Once Before And Never Never Again.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Registered

Seat still there the last I looked. Goof off was only on for less than 3 seconds. Then covered with Meguirs boat vinly cleaner/conditioner