Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trailer Axles

Looking into replacing all 3 axles
Tired of the worn tires and really do not want to wear out another set
Thinking of going heavier then whats on it now
Two major questions;
First, can you and if so how hard is it to change from leave spring to Torsion? Currenly 4 leafs per wheel running drum brakes on fron and rear axle. Center axle is idler.
Second, with or without converting to Torsion, is it difficult to change from Drum to Disk?
Figure now is the time.
Currently run 14X195 tires and I do NOT have enough room to go to 15's
Third optional question is it possible to add the center axl to brakes? Would I have to run all new lines in order for this? Or can I just tap into the current lines?
Old 08-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Trailer Axles

built my trailer from scratch,went with solid axles,springs,shackles,mounts,galvanized backing plates,drum brakes on two axles,1 without.I was told not to use torsion axles in salt water,but honestly it would have made for a cleaner installation and definately i would use disc brakes on two axles with bronze calipers.Franklin trailer in new jersey was the supplier of parts.I think total was $1500.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Registered

Default Re: Trailer Axles

Originally Posted by plumbers crack
I was told not to use torsion axles in salt water,but honestly it would have made for a cleaner installation and definately i would use disc brakes on two axles with bronze calipers.

PC, Just curious who told you not to go with torsion axles in salt water! I have had my Foat-on trailer for twelve years, used in the most harsh environment, Only salt water! I have had to do maintenance on my bearings only. I do use saltaway fresh water rinse after every launch! My Jet Boat trailer is also torsion and I am switching over my 38' to torsion soon! A lot easer and less hassle! On the other hand our Island is only 35 miles long by 5 wide, so no long hauls here?

Bryan, Guam USA
Old 08-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Registered

I second the torsion axle. I have always had them and they are far supoier to leaf springs in salt water. Leafs are always trapping water and they corrode super fast. Go torsion, way cleaner and easier.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Registered

Re: Trailer Axles

The d bag I bought the parts through talked me out of it ,I SAID GO WITH TORSION AXLES NEXT TIME DIDNT I. I would build again but only something big otherwise just sell it and buy brand new!
Old 08-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I do not do salt water here in Minnesota
But am tired of the shackle noise on the current setup
as for mileage I have at least 30,000 miles on my trailer. Second set of tires is just about shot
It has been to Havasu 5 times at 4,000+ each trip, plus a one way home when Ifirst bought it
Detriot twice, LOTO 4 times, Nebraska a couple times, North West Iowa 3, and up northern MN half a dozen or more times
This thing has more mileage then engine hours
Old 08-02-2004, 10:23 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 542 Posts

In switching to torsion axles, I am concerned with all the holes you are going to be drilling into the trailer, and weakening the beams. (Not sure of your trailer type, but both of my trailers have been aluminum I-beam, and mounted via thru bolts.

My suggestion would be to price out a new trailer the way you like, right brakes, right axles etc. At the same time, list yours for sale. You may find someone who only needs to take their boat of the water for lift maintenance or boat maintenance, looking for a cheap trailer, which can offset the cost of your tricked out new one.

I replaced the axles on my old piece of crap Rocket trailer, with identical axles to the original, although both original axles had bent spindles. I also upgraded to Kodiak Disc brakes on both axles from drums on only one. In a nutshell, it was a pain in the ass. Do a search on Kodiak Disc Brakes and, you will find some of my past info. The good news is the trailer made a straight thru trip from coast to coast with no issues whatsoever earlier this year, when the boat/trailer was sold, and the new owner is having no issues with it.