Boat security alarms >

Boat security alarms

Notices

Boat security alarms

Old 08-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat security alarms

Has anyone tried a radar proximity alarm in a boat. They're usually used in conv. cars and pickup beds. I was wondering how well they would work on a rocking boat, ie. accidentally activated by rocking next to another boat, dock, etc. Also, this sounds stupid, but does the radar shoot through the fiberglass making it too sensitive to nearby docks, etc.
Gary
Old 08-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 556 Posts
Default Re: Boat security alarms

i used to install alarms back in the day. The proximity alarms wont get activated by a boat rocking unless you have alot of loose stuff moving around inside the boat. The unit can be adjusted for sensitivity also. So you can make it only go off if someone was to step inside the boat. If it were me i think i would put two onboard. One in the engine compartment or you could wire a pin switch there too so when the hatch is opened it would trigger and the proximity alarm close to the helm near the cabin door. I cant remember where ive seen it before but i know someone make a pinswitch that replaces one of the snaps on boat covers...so when someone starts to try and take the cover off the boat it will trigger.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Registered

I've used a small pir (passive infared) device in my boat with great sucess. I mounted it low, but it was able to see the whole cockpit area. I wired it to an old Page Alert alarm, so it would beep the remote pager. I was close by the boat so it worked good.
I've seen those snap switches. They look good, but I never used one. PIR won't detect through the hull or glass.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Registered

www.canvassnapalarm.com
Old 08-04-2004, 03:41 PM
Registered

I've seen the Bulldog and Advent radar units. Who makes the infarred?
Gary
Old 08-04-2004, 09:32 PM
rickcurtis

Car alarms don't even work in cars, why do you think they would work in a boat? The use of a car alarm, or motion sensing products in a boat will result in more false alarms than when used in a car. No one pays attention to an alarm system that provides regular false alarms.

PIR and shock detection sensor devices false alarm on temperature change, canvas wind rattle and flexing, birds landing on the boat, pelican dropping a fish on the boat, and (as is the case with cars) thunder and little bumps.

Most alarms sold as "boat alarms" are nothing more than a $11 (wholesale) car alarm. A good example of an $11 car alarm being sold as a boat alarm can be seen at: http://www.aqualarm.net/store/boat-security.asp.

I agree with Sonic28. http://www.canvassnapalarm.com appears to be an excellent product designed for boats. It can't provide a false alarm.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Registered

I have been in the security business for twenty two years and can offer a few suggestions and some insight. Firstly, a car system probably wont last long in a moist salt air environment but that can easily be overcome. There is a system that I offer that has waterPROOF miniature remotes. They are less than half the size of a car alarm remote and even smaller than a postage stamp. You can swim with the remote in your pocket. The control module is conformal coated to resist corrosion. I offer a backup battery in the event the battery is cut. You can add magnetic contacts to trigger if door or hatch opens. I dont recommend pins as they fail. I dont recommend radar type motion sensors as they can pick up radio frequency interference and false trigger. I dont recommend passive infrared devices as a hot cabin will render the sensor unpredictable at best. I do like snap sensors but dont like the one suggested above as I feel you will have a hell of a time drilling a hole that large in a nice boat and finding clearance for the depth of that unit. I can offer you snap solutions that dont require a large hole and can use identical snaps currently on your boat. Additionally the snaps must cover more than one snap to truly be effective.

Typically, I incorporate a gps device to notify you of alarm emergency and give you boat location if it is stolen. If any OSO member needs boat security advice, call me at (813)882-8477.

Andy Buzz
Buzz-Off Alarm Systems
Maximum Audio
www.buzz-off.com
Old 08-04-2004, 10:10 PM
rickcurtis

A quick look at www.buzz-off.com shows that Mr. Buzz is selling car alarms, which unless my experience fails me would be virtually impossible to seal as they come from China as an "unopenable" unit. Spray whatever you want on it, paint it, and call it whatever you want but it is still a car alarm that won't hold up in a marine environment. Think about it....a car alarm, made in China to be used on cars, taking the pounding of 6 foot waves, and getting a good dose of (at least) salt air.

I have a Canvas SnapAlarm installed on my 38 Scarab. You cannot tell that the snap sensor is not just any other male snap member. I have 4 sensors installed. They will install anywhere where the back side is accessible. The sensors that come with Canvas SnapAlarm are made in the U.S. in Georgia and designed only for use on boats. Since I can't seem to find any parts on my boat made in China, and since ALL car alarms are made in China, I don't think there is a good match. Boat alarms for boats and car alarms for cars.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:08 AM
Registered

The product that I am suggesting is not a car alarm and with all due respect, being in the business over twenty two years may give my recommendations more credibility than most. The system that I sell for boats is actually a multi-purpose security device designed for use in motorcycles, snow mobiles, and boats. Yes, it is made in China; the source of the highest quality security products. Although the system that I have sucessfully installed in many boats and motorcycles, is designed in the United States, we must bear in mind that China produces electronics with the highest reliability records with superior quality control and consistency over the U.S. The origin of the product has little to do with marine security so I will avoid further digressing the real topic.

I am not knocking someones idea of taking a threaded brass tube and inserting electronics inside. The package I recommend is designed to not need this tube, nor any holes drilled into the boat. Additionally, my package triggers even if the wires to the snaps are cut.

When it comes to marine protection, experience in choosing the correct sensors and product design is what will prevail in outsmarting a thief. The pounding of waves will not effect a properly loaded wave soldered board. Another important issue is that the remote must be waterproof. Water resistant won't cut it.

Please take my advice for whatever it is worth to you. I have over 47,500 satisfied customers in my local area and have already proven to myself what works and what does not. This post is not an attempt to take business from someone else. The goal is to help fellow OSO members avoid a loss and to assist those that want assistance.

Andy Buzz
Buzz-Off Alarm Systems
Maximum Audio
Old 08-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Registered

This is going into the cabin of a cruiser. I would suspect entering through a broken window would be easier than breaking through a door or hatch. So no door switch or snap switch, etc is going to work. Need a proximity detector for the interior. Reccomendations?
BTW, first I've seen of the snap alarm, very cool.
Gary

Quick Reply: Boat security alarms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.