Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
NEED HELP.pro charged hp 500 motor oil in carb box. >

NEED HELP.pro charged hp 500 motor oil in carb box.

Notices

NEED HELP.pro charged hp 500 motor oil in carb box.

Old 08-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: NEED HELP.pro charged hp 500 motor oil in carb box.

If it is not coming from the super/turbocharger the PCV is how most of these problems occur. If you only have breathers then it is simply fogging your engine compartment and getting sucked through the intake. If you are using an intercooler this can be bad. Oil buildup in an intercooler can reduce it's effectivness by 70%.

Roby
Old 08-06-2004, 06:17 PM
krypto 1 in CT

thanks for the replys.ill check the procharger exit tube for oil tommorow morning.whats the best way to clean the inside of the intercooler if needed.yes i only have small k/n breathers in the valve covers.they are the hp 500 valve covers and the breathers are pushed into the small pvc hole gromets.it used to have the lines plumbed from the pvc holes to the blower mouth but i removed that setup for the same reason oil in the carb box.could i be im getting more blow by because the breathers arnt helping enough.i mean isnt the reason you run the lines to the blower to get rid of crank case preasure and get a better ring seal.

Old 08-07-2004, 10:26 AM
krypto 1 in CT

I checked it out this morning.the short rubber tube between the blower and the inercooler had a little oil puddle in it about a 1/4 teaspoon full.the inercooler didnt seem to have any build up of oil grime and the exit tube to the carb box seemed to not have really much wetness just a dry film no puddle.the spark pl ugs have had some black crusty build up also.i think the motor has both some blow by and some oil is getting up through the breather and going through the procharger.this motor was just bored and honed to 4.530 with a tork plate and new JE 8.4 pistons i think the rings and pins used came with the JE pistons.i didnt discuss rings with the engine builder.i could find out monday what they are for sure.the motor only has about 1.5 hours on it and probably less than 2 minutes above 3000rpms could it be the rings just still are seating themselfs.also what do you guys think about the valve cover set up with just small k/n push in breathers could the engine be building to much preasure with the small breather in the small around 5/8 pcv holes and 7lbs of boost.does it maybe need some positive crank case evacuation like how it was set up before as in the pro charger directions with the lines coming out of the valve cover and going to the belmouth of the procharger with no breathers.isnt that why procharger has it setup that way? for a little better ring seal and hp.

Old 08-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

I would try putting another 10 hrs or so on motor,as hard as this might be be,TRY KEEPING IT OUT OF BOOST. Let your rings seat some more,obvious ly you are getting blowby,thus venting oil thru breathers into the procharger. Something that you might want to try (i personally haven't but have considered it) would be to mount a vacuum pump on motor to help keep rings seated while under boost. I have seen a number of street cars running blowers that do this,you could vent the discharge to a puke tk and vent the puke tk to blower,but try letting rings seat a little more first,Smitty
Old 08-07-2004, 01:49 PM
krypto 1 in CT

i had a vac pump with a puke tank on a big inch nitrous motor for bracket racing. it would be a pain to monut it on a hp 500.not sure what to do for breathers the valve covers are the hp 500s and only have the small grometed 3/4 holes.i think im going to put on some push in breathers with spigots and run the lines to the bellmouth of the procharger that way ill get some blockage of oil spitting out while going through the breather and still get some pull from the procharger to help with ring seal.and stay out of boost for a while and let the rings seat.think this sounds ok.the only time there was oil in the box was when i did those 4 passes in boost up to 5600 rpms.damm i want to put on the 34 bravo 4 blade i have sitting in the shed and see if i can turn it to 5400/5500.so watcha guys think on the valve covers? .thanks everybody for all the replys they have really helped a lot.sean

Old 09-09-2004, 05:37 PM
krypto 1 in CT

just thought i would up date his post in case anybody else is having the same trouble.it turned out to be the stock merc hp 500 pcv valve in the intake manifold.it was feeding the engine oil at about a quart a hour and getting up into the carb box also.somone had previously removed the splash pan under the intake so that probably made it worse.what i did was remove the pcv line and put a pipe plug in the intake manifld inlet.for the intake vally hole i put a new pcv valve in and ran a hose out of it into a small k/n motorcycle crank case breather.so now i have k/n breathers in the valve cover and if the motor has heavy blow by it will open the pcv and vent through the k/n crank case breather.the motor has come alive and idles much better now and the carb box is dry inside.the spark plugs and transom are clean without soot.spoke to nickerson about it and the first thing he said was no pcv valves routed into the motor with prochargers you will go through a lot of oil.