Leaking lower unit? >

Leaking lower unit?

Notices

Leaking lower unit?

Old 08-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking lower unit?

I have a 1994 Wellcraft Nova Spyder. It is leaking in the rear somewhere but I cannot tell where it is coming from. Does anyone know where it could be leaking? What kind of seals are there? Any help would be awesome. Thanks
Old 08-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Registered

Default Re: Leaking lower unit?

Take some pics and/ or be more specific.

Which fluid is leaking? Drive oil?

Is it an alpha? (guessing by year and make)

Inside or outside of the transom?
Old 08-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Registered

Sorry, it is leaking water into the hull. Yes, it is an alpha.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2004, 03:20 PM
Registered

Ok, on an alpha you've got a shift bellows, a main u joint bellows and a water pick up line.

Can you see behind the block to try to see a trickle or something? (If the boat is in)
Or, sometimes when you move the drive side to side from behind you can see where water is coming from as it rund back out the rear.

Chances are that it is one of your bellows, but I also had a water line kinked once that eventually leaked.

Usually if it's the bellows, it will look like it is leaking from the bottom of the inside of the transom assembly bracket.

Also, lots of times you can see main bellows cracks or damage from the stern by eye, especially with the drive off.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Registered

Other options that are less likely would be a leak around a drain plug, (doubt it) or a leak in the cooling system on the engine side of the transom assy.

10 year old boat. My guess is main bellows.

They aren't the hardest thing to do, but there is a trick to "tucking the lip" so to speak. Plus a couple special merc tools help.
Maybe pull your own drive, but let a merc mechanic seat the bellows for you.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:26 PM
Registered

Oh I forgot, the actual transom assys can leak where they are bolted together like a sandwich, but usually only when you have other transom issues like rot and I'll bet on a 94 Wellcraft you do NOT.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Registered

Thanks a lot. I am not the best mechanic. Do you think it would be best to take it to a mechanic and if so what should I expect to pay if it is the bellows?
Old 08-13-2004, 04:22 PM
Registered

Around here we pay about 70 bucks an hour. You are looking at a few hours (shop time) to pull an alpha and do the bellows.

If you have a friend who has pulled an alpha, it might be worth learning how to remove and replace the drive. Over time it will pay off. It can be frustrating, but it isn't really difficult. I believe that you should be able to do it. Especially with a helper who has pulled one before. Pulling it yourself would also help determine if it really is the bellows. You want to get a gasket kit for when you put it back on. Basically, you put the boat in forward unbolt the drive and pull it straight off. Going back on you should grease your zerks, replace your gasket and o rings, and slide her right back on. The catch is that the little shoe that engages the shift shaft has to be held in place sometimes. Also, sometimes I have had to turn the engine a little to line the splines in the drive shaft up with the teeth of the coupler on the business end of the block. It's heavy, but it isn't really complicated.

The part shouldn't be much. But make sure that they look at/replace the shift bellows while they have the drive off.

My guesstimate would be 200-300 bucks. This is a really common repair for a merc tech.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Registered

There are a couple OSO members who have much more experience with alphas than me.

One guy who has helped me a lot with alpha issues is Iggy.