Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil Temp Gauge...foggy >

Oil Temp Gauge...foggy

Notices

Oil Temp Gauge...foggy

Old 08-15-2004, 08:16 PM
Closer247

Default Oil Temp Gauge...foggy

Oil Temp Gauge (Gaffrig) is a bit foggy once I get rolling, it does not register any information. The guage was installed but never connected to a sender, so I grounded it, hooked up the wiring for the backlighting, and then ran a lead back to the engine room.

I THINK I founf the oil temp sender, but I'm not sure...this is a HP500 carb, with the oil fileter beign located in the back right of the motor, on top, behind the valve cover. There is a small acorn shaped (about an inch and half by a inch and half) sender screwed into the block of metal that the oil filter is threaded onto, it has two tabs for wires on it. With the key on, but engine off, both of the tabs on this sender show 12v+ when grounded on a multi-meter. This is very strange to me. I am alomost thinking the gauge or sender are bad, as when I connect the one tab to the hot side of the gauge, the gauge pegs out at 300+ degrees, but the guage reads nothing when I connect it to the other side fo the sender.

Anyone ever installed a gauge like this? If so, does the sender sound right? The only thing I reccon that sender could be besides the temp sender would be the oil temp or oil pressure alarm sender, but I dont think so.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2004, 01:11 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil Temp Gauge...foggy

It's funny you say your Oil temp gauge fogs up. Mine also is the only gauge that fogs up. The sender will be a one wire type. the one you described sounds like a low oil pressure sending unit. It shows 12 volts to both sides. What this sender does is, If your oil pressure gets to low, It will sound an alarm, or in some cases interrupt the coil voltage so not to harm your engine because of low oil pressure. Most oil temp sending units are located in the oil pan. look around the pan and see if you can find a 1 wire sending unit.