Sucked up Sand, now what >

Sucked up Sand, now what

Notices

Sucked up Sand, now what

Old 08-21-2004, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sucked up Sand, now what

got myself into a little trouble last weekend. Got caught in a low sandy spot and ingested some sand into the cooling system. We pulled off the hoses going to oil cooler and fuel cooler. Got it cleared out on the lake best we could. Ran it the rest of Sunday and all day Monday no problems. Was cleaing the boat up yesterday getting ready to go out this weekend. Fired it up on the hose just to make sure everything was still good, and it isn't. The engine would not suck any water. I have not pulled off the hoses yet as it got dark early last night but am wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to back flush the cooling system. Any ideas are appreciated.
thanks
Sean
Old 08-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Sucked up Sand, now what

MXZ,

I'm sure the impeller and housing took it hard from the sand. Most likely, it still worked after you pulled hoses but once you pulled the boat from the water the pump lost its prime and now is not strong enough to pull the water up through the drive and hoses.

Good luck,

Kurt ZRT
Old 08-21-2004, 09:12 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing I'd do is go out and get a new impeller for your pump (you didn't say what drive, I assume Bravo), if its not totally wrecked, its now on its way, and inspect the housing for wear. Someone will give advice on finding hiding spots for sand in cooling system. "I'm not a mechanic but I play on my boat"
Old 08-21-2004, 09:34 AM
Registered

I will replace impeller this afternoon. It is a Bravo 1 outdrive. I have a new housing sitting around so I will do that also. Any ideas on finding other hiding spots for sand is appreciated.
Thanks
Sean
Old 08-21-2004, 12:30 PM
Registered

That happened to me 12 miles out in the gulf(of Mexico)Long tow in 95* weather.Since we have so many shallow water conditions,I moved the pick-up to the transom.No more problems.BOB
Old 08-21-2004, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

when I would injest sand, i would do the oil cooler, then goto the ther mostat and remove the hoses and flush there as well for some extra sence on piece. also while you have the impeller pump off off run the water thru the hoses again to make sure it is going out to the motor and infrom the drive.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you have your raw water pump apart, make sure the impellor has all of the vanes intact. If some are missing, they are probably stuck at the entrance of the nearest cooler. Go fishing and don't stop until your impellor puzzle is pieced back together.

Good luck,
Brian
Old 08-21-2004, 01:05 PM
Registered

While you you at it, put on and offshore pick up that mounts to the bottom of the transon, to elimanate that problem.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Excalibur502mag

I think I am having a similar problem due to parking on the beach of a river. The boat runs fine under 3500 rpm, but the temperature climbs from 175 up to 200 where the alarm goes off. If I simply back the throttle down it won't lower temps, but if I stop and let it idle it goes back down. Now I could run at 3400 rpms all day. Thermostat? I just replaced the impellar, but not the housing.
MXZX, sorry for butting in on your question.

Old 08-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Registered

Excalibur502mag, you've got a stuck thermostat or a clogged passage somewhere. I would disconnect all the hoses and flush them out then pull the bottom block drain plugs, remove the thermostat housing, blow air up through the drain holes then run water down the thermostat hole,do this repeatedly until sand stooped running out, you'll probably have to remove the risers if you have a decrease of flow through the exhaust.