Bypass Valve

Notices

Bypass Valve

Old 08-25-2004, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Bypass Valve

mhawkins48,
the block was a new block and they come bare (no valves).
Good point though.
KidNova,
the pressure drops to 25 and 45 on each motor at cruise speeds of 3500-4000 rpm once temps come up.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lurk on OSO often and have been watching that thread. Very interesting to say the least.

My Harley days are over. "back in the day" mine had fresh oil all the time. Just kept on filling the crank case as they leaked it out ;o).

On a more serious note, those back cylinders had to take a beat'n from the heat.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:30 AM
Registered

Dave, maybe you could suggest to your bud that he install oil temp gauges. They are cheap insurance.

Bill
Old 08-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kidnova, My oil temp with the 3"x12" cooler has not gone above 240*. Most of the time it is about 220* at a 3600 rpm cruise. Not bad. I might pull it back out next winter and replace the only 2 90* fittings with sweep 90's just to see if it unrestricts the flow a little more. I am glad I went with the 10AN lines and fittings. I think that helped, too. Good luck.

Here is another question for a Merc Engineer type. We are always told to plumb an oil filter/cooler system with large (at least 10AN) lines and to avoid any 90* fittings. How does the oil cooler on a HP525 and HP575 do it's job when they are plumbed with only 8AN line and 4 90* fittings? I can't figure that one out but, it obviously works.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I changed from the stock cooler to the eddie marine 3" with thermostat I had problem of oil pressure dropping & dropping until I slowed down. Once I put bigger cooler on pressure never goes below 60 now.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:39 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kidnova
How are your oil temps with the 3 x 12? I tried a 454 mag cooler, no good. I then went to a Hardin Marine 3 x 22 cooler with a tstat. It cools engine oil and power steering. Actually, about 3 x 15 or so is dedicated to the engine oil. It's supposed to be good up to 700 hp. I fugured with my hp at around 500, the Hardin would solve my problem. It's better than the mag cooler, but still not good enough. !
Been serching for cooler to meet my needs and fit availiable space and found this site
http://i-netmarine.com/oil_coolers/s...il_coolers.htm

Made by SeaKamp they will build custom sizes also.

I also found that Hardin says that chrone finished coolers are up to 40% less efficient than painted!! Could be big part of my problem.

Mark
Old 08-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mhawkins48
Been serching for cooler to meet my needs and fit availiable space and found this site
http://i-netmarine.com/oil_coolers/s...il_coolers.htm

Made by SeaKamp they will build custom sizes also.

I also found that Hardin says that chrone finished coolers are up to 40% less efficient than painted!! Could be big part of my problem.

Mark

Interesting, you can get the length and diameter you want. But you'd have to run a separate power steering cooler. Wonder if SeaKamp would incoropate one into an oil cooler?

I read about the chrome coolers being less efficient before buying the Hardin. I ended up painting mine purple...matches the graffics on the boat.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:16 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kidnova
Interesting, you can get the length and diameter you want. But you'd have to run a separate power steering cooler. Wonder if SeaKamp would incoropate one into an oil cooler?

I read about the chrome coolers being less efficient before buying the Hardin. I ended up painting mine purple...matches the graffics on the boat.
Kidnova,

I wish I had known that before buying the Eddie Marine 3x22 combo unit. It would probably be plenty for less than 500HP they claim up to 600 I think. Having done everything else to ensure good water and oil flow, I have decided that this piece is not enough for Texas temps, with 580HP.

I tried to find SeaKamp on the web to see if they build combo. But thinking further I have decided to run separate steering cooler. That will allow me to run bigger oil cooler where the present one is. Steering coolers are so small they can fit just about anywhere. More HP inevitably calls for more cooling/air/fuel and stronger everything else.

Mark