Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Add On Hydraulic Steering? >

Add On Hydraulic Steering?

Notices

Add On Hydraulic Steering?

Old 08-27-2004, 12:41 PM
scarabman34

Default Re: Add On Hydraulic Steering?

If you can afford to go with the full hydraulic steering then do it. But I believe most of us can not afford to do it in one shot, so rather than run your credit card up go with the half system and add on later. You will be fine with the cable. I know of allot of boats with half systems and they do just fine, I know of one that does 100+ with the cable and it steers great.

Old 08-27-2004, 01:08 PM
blackhawk

Can remember the name of the company or the starter of the thread. But I thought someone was selling a full system for about the same price as most "big name" add-on system. Might want to try a search.

I got my full system through CP Performance.

Old 08-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian Alfrey XS Performance 513-407-0215
They are great tell them Klaw sent you
Old 08-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Registered

brian at xs is a cool guy. 2550 for a full hyd single drive with helm not sure how much to add the tie bar.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Take your time and shop around.
Look at Mayfair, Latham, call CP Performance and see what their prices are, there is nothing more lethal than an educated comsumer and we are not talking about chump change when you want to go to a full system. Why go half way, go all the way and do it right install the full system.
Get an issue of Powerboat Magazine, and call some of the advertisements in there.
There are several people out there offering full systems.
Latham is considered top of the line but real costly.
Post what you end up doing!
Good Luck
Brian
Old 08-28-2004, 07:16 AM
Registered

I understand that the full system is probably the best way, but it's another $1200.00(over the add on system). If I was only doing the steering it would not be that big of a deal. I am already going to be over $30,000.00 this fall (without the steering). I don't know about you guys but I don't have a money tree in my back yard. And if the add on system is fine except a little play in the wheel, and a little stiff around the docks I think I can live with that. More money for gas and beer.
Thanks For The Info
Curt
Old 08-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had theLathem dual add-on on my last 27' Fountian. Was a bit stiffer at idle, only because now my new boat has full hyd. that I can compare it too. Otherwise I wouldn't have known about the idle issues some mention.

Outriggers, don't know about the throwing belt question. But it seems like it would be just like turning the motor off= stiff steering.?????????
Old 08-30-2004, 07:15 AM
scarabman34

In regards to the question about throwing a belt and the drive turning one way or the other. It does not happen. The drive will stay right in place. The wheel will turn extremely hard though but you can still steer. Just try and move an out drive with external steering with the motor off. And any way, how many times have you ever thrown a belt?

Old 08-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Brian Alfrey at XS Performance direct.
XS Performance Marine
Brian Alfrey
6688B Georgetown Lane
Middletown, Ohio 45042
1-513-737-0588
[email protected]
He goes by Alfster on OSO but he is rarely online.
However he always answers the phone.

http://www.xsperformancemarine.biz/

His hyd. system is priced much lower than the others.
Good stuff, clean looking set up & very heavy duty!
Best bang for the buck out there!
Brian will treat you right and is usually pretty fast.

Allan also distributes these systems.
ALLAN4 (on OSO) can be reached at:
Allan Hilsinger
Hilsinger Motorsports
513.598.9410 (O)
www.hilsingermotorsports.com
Attached Thumbnails Add On Hydraulic Steering?-xs-performance-steering.jpg   Add On Hydraulic Steering?-xs-performance-donzi-22zx.jpg  

Last edited by WildThing; 05-21-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:59 PM
1_bigdogg

just remember...when you get your prices...compare apples to apples. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Example;
M&M will sell you a complete system..all the bells and whistles. If you get a competitor's quote and add up all the differences you end up pretty close to each other. Then you can throw in things like "are they insured(products liability)...have they been a reputable source for more than a few months....just the kind of stuff to look for before you blow your wad..

Quick Reply: Add On Hydraulic Steering?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.