WOT Speed and RPM Loss

Notices

WOT Speed and RPM Loss

Old 09-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 862 Likes on 401 Posts
Default Re: WOT Speed and RPM Loss

Glad you found something!! Now you should be able to correct problem and use your boat(instead of staring at it on the trailer) have fun,Smitty
Old 09-03-2004, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to be a pessimist but the filter will not likely be your problem. A filter will usually not reduce the pressure at idle and will usually only impede the pressure/flow at higher flow rates. It is starting to look like the fuel pump or pressure regulator has failed.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Registered

Ok.. the saga continues and I need some thoughts... put the new fuel filter in and the fuel pressure went up and stayed up over 30psi so I thought that was a good sign. Now for the drama. Went to the lake with BOTH the mechanics onboard. Started her up and almost right away I noticed her running a little rough. I moved forward slightly and after about 10 seconds I noticed my heat gauge up to about 170. My mechanics said to keep going and that it might be from running on the hose at the shop.( keep in mind I noticed it running a little rough during the idle from the dock and a vibration coming from the engine area when I slightly revved the motor to about 1500). At about 30 seconds into the trip, I couldnt get on plane because it was running rough and I looked down again and the heat was at 185 and climbing so I shut it down , opened the hood and my mechanic saw water running out of the impeller housing and there was a visible crack on the top side of the housing.... steaming etc. We shut it down, got towed in and they are replacing the housing/ impeller in the morning.
My questions are: Could this have been my route to all the evil. According to my guy's initial thoughts, the water pump also supplies PSI to the fuel pump. If the water pump went or was going, this would have hurt the capability of the fuel pump to pump enough fuel at the high end RPM., and when we put the boat in the water tonite and it was running rough almost right from the start, he said that since it was hot from running it at the shop, as soon as it got up to 170-180, the computer sensed that and it would automatically shut the motor down to a point, hence the rough running.
Are these items related? or am I getting the proverbial snow job? My head is spinning now. Thanks for any input, I really appreciate it guys!
Old 09-03-2004, 10:20 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Masher, This 525 is fuel injected right? If so the fuel pump is electric and not run off of the water pump. Put a new impeller housing and impeller on and Stop dickin' around and put a fuel pump on it and run this thing. Unless our info is crossed up you have a fuel pump going bad. (22 Years as an auto Technician)
Old 09-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 862 Likes on 401 Posts

I can't see how your raw water pump could have anything to do with your fuel pump. I could guess (but it would only be a guess) that your sophistecated efi motor may have a limp mode that enrichens motor to protect it if it gets over a certain temp,i hope you get it all straightened out tommorrow,Smitty
Old 09-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Registered

Thansk Guys, I know, I am going to do the fuel pump and get it over with... I hope. Thanks for all the input, I truly appreciate it!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Registered

Fixed the impeller ( it was in 100 pieces) and the housing. I really think I got the shaft last winter from the guys who winterized it. They were supposed to change the fuel filter, impeller and winterize it. With the housing cracked like it was it must have froze and cracked. Boat ran fine today as far as temp goes but original problem still remains. I ordered a new fuel pump and pressure regulator woth all the seals, o-rings etc. I am getting it done Wed/Thurs. Will update then. If it isnt fixed it is going to a different shop. I am fresh out of ideas after that. Thanks Again everyone! Jim
Old 09-05-2004, 03:43 AM
Registered

Jim, I feel for you, most of us boat owners have gone through it, and will again. I remember a few times laying in bed going through the entire engine in my mind! That's how I found out about Priority oiling in the new gen Big Block! 5 little 1/8 plugs cost me two tear downs! Hey, don’t forget to check the first cooler you come to for pieces of your impeller! Don’t want to have hi oil temp to deal with! Just pull the hose off and pull the pieces out!

Bryan
Old 09-05-2004, 05:21 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Masher, This 525 is fuel injected right? If so the fuel pump is electric and not run off of the water pump. Put a new impeller housing and impeller on and Stop dickin' around and put a fuel pump on it and run this thing. Unless our info is crossed up you have a fuel pump going bad. (22 Years as an auto Technician)
Fuel pump ....
Old 09-05-2004, 03:56 PM
Registered

Hey Guys, I hear ya about not sleeping up til 5AM last 3 nights. GREAT TIP on the pieces of the impeller. I have a few down days so I plan on doing some small stuff while it is in the shop. Kills me not to be out on the water this weekend but it could be worse. This little problem turned out to be beneficial to me due to the waterpump and impeller getting fixed without a HUGE problem or a 5 hours tow. Upon looking at the engine diagrams on the MERC site, for anyone that has a 525 ( and maybe others) there is a tiny filter in the pressure regulator that no one knew of as well and it is going to be replaced. According to Merc, it has been a problem in the past. Now that I have the engine diagrams, it makes alot more sense. Hopefully I will be out next weekend spending money on gas and beer instead of repairs. Thanks for all the help guys!! I truly appreciate it and I will update the board this week. Jim

Quick Reply: WOT Speed and RPM Loss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.