Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What actually happend when I reversed oil hoses?? >

What actually happend when I reversed oil hoses??

Notices

What actually happend when I reversed oil hoses??

Old 09-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts
Default Re: What actually happend when I reversed oil hoses??

Originally Posted by robyw1
Why would the oil lines be reversed in the first place? And yes if it was an anti-siphon filter then no oil should have made it's way through the filter. It would have bypassed at the pump allowing superheated unfiltered oil to recirculate.

Roby
Robyw1 i think you summed it up!!
Old 09-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue two summers ago and when I switched to a Fram filter oil pressure went to 10 lbs and even lower when the RPM's increased. Took the motor out once and put them on reversed again, and then when I had low pressure I know it had to be related to the cooler because primed outside on the stand and had good pressure. Bearing looked fine and I rode it like that out of spite, upset me enough that had the attitude if it blows it blows, well it didn't even with low pressure, never even scored a bearing.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:35 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

perfect mix (josh, with 357 formula) just had this exact same problem this summer. newert engine in the boat from milennyum marine, plumbed the wrong inlet/outlet on the remote reservoir. spun a bearing,and needed a new engine. Lenny at miLennyum marine said this wrong routing starves engine at high rpm. but i personaly dont know the mechanics. proly as mentioned above.

this is rambunctious logged on waterfoul's account
ramb
Old 09-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what happened to my starboard engine when the genius mechanic plumbed the oil lines in reverse.....
Attached Thumbnails What actually happend when I reversed oil hoses??-rod-1-resized.jpg  
Old 09-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally don't know what planet some of these idiot mechanics fall off of... but oil does NOT pass through a paper element very fast... all spin on oil filter canisters have a bypass built in or they have a spring that allows the filter element to lift off it's base and the oil to pass that way. Some engines have a filter bypass built right into the engine because THE ENGINEERS KNOW THAT YOU CANNOT PASS ALL THE OIL THROUGH THE FILTER WITHOUT DECREASING FLOW.... so under high rpm's and cold oil conditions the oil MUST bypass the filter matrix. Plumb the filter backwards and you starve the bearings for oil. I learned this the hard way.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:48 PM
BlownBajaOnHavasu

learned this the hard way too. plumbed backwards, good oil pressure according to gauge. motor was getting it's oil supply from the bypass.
ouch!!!

Old 09-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Registered

Thought I was the only one. It has been an embarrassing summer because I am the idiot mechanic that both plumbed the oil lines wrong and the idiot that had to buy another new short block after smoking the crank and bearings. Happened after 10 hrs, just when I thought I could hammer it, she puked. Good oil psi. bad flow. Expensive learning experience. Good luck

Josh
Old 09-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
I personally don't know what planet some of these idiot mechanics fall off of... but oil does NOT pass through a paper element very fast... all spin on oil filter canisters have a bypass built in or they have a spring that allows the filter element to lift off it's base and the oil to pass that way. Some engines have a filter bypass built right into the engine because THE ENGINEERS KNOW THAT YOU CANNOT PASS ALL THE OIL THROUGH THE FILTER WITHOUT DECREASING FLOW.... so under high rpm's and cold oil conditions the oil MUST bypass the filter matrix. Plumb the filter backwards and you starve the bearings for oil. I learned this the hard way.
Even with my HP6s?