Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What actually happend when I reversed oil hoses?? >

What actually happend when I reversed oil hoses??

Notices

What actually happend when I reversed oil hoses??

Old 09-01-2004, 08:27 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default What actually happend when I reversed oil hoses??

Ok guys after running all summer with my hoses reveresed to my remote oil filter and cooler I spun a rod bearing Imagine that! Always showed 50 pounds running and never went below 20 at idle after the oil got hot and thinned. Wouldnt the bearings still get oil? Why would it cause it to spin a bearing?
Old 09-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: What actually happend when I reversed oil hoses??

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
Ok guys after running all summer with my hoses reveresed to my remote oil filter and cooler I spun a rod bearing Imagine that! Always showed 50 pounds running and never went below 20 at idle after the oil got hot and thinned. Wouldnt the bearings still get oil? Why would it cause it to spin a bearing?
Good pressure but the wrong way through the filter so you were seeing backpressure and low flow possibly??
Old 09-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts
Default Re: What actually happend when I reversed oil hoses??

As long as your reading your oil pressure at the block off main oil gallery,its got that amt of presure no matter how it got there, If reversing the flow caused a considerable drop in volume then oil pressure would drop as engine rpm's increased(engine demand -gallons per minute increases with rpm's). I am guessing it did something funny as it flowed thru your filter causing dirty oil to enter your engine and run thru your bearings or it caused your oil to go thru your block bypass valves and you weren't getting hardly any filtration or cooling.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: What actually happend when I reversed oil hoses??

Originally Posted by articfriends
As long as your reading your oil pressure at the block off main oil gallery,its got that amt of presure no matter how it got there, If reversing the flow caused a considerable drop in volume then oil pressure would drop as engine rpm's increased(engine demand -gallons per minute increases with rpm's). I am guessing it did something funny as it flowed thru your filter causing dirty oil to enter your engine and run thru your bearings or it caused your oil to go thru your block bypass valves and you weren't getting hardly any filtration or cooling.

Sounds about right
Old 09-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I am guessing it did something funny as it flowed thru your filter causing dirty oil to enter your engine......
Wouldn't dirt just be trapped on the other side of the filter elements and still in a sense be filtered?

As Artic said, you had pressure. No matter how it was plumbed, oil still flowed out the correct block port, and then back in the correct port. UNLESS... I'm not sure, but if oil was traveling backwards thru the filter, would it hold the filters bypass valve open and still allow full thru it? Or would it seal the filter shut forcing the oil to not flow thru the oil cooler and filter, and just pass thru the blocks internal bypass valve?

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 09-01-2004 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:03 AM
Registered

Why would the oil lines be reversed in the first place? And yes if it was an anti-siphon filter then no oil should have made it's way through the filter. It would have bypassed at the pump allowing superheated unfiltered oil to recirculate.

Roby
Old 09-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Registered

The oil lines got reversed because I was not paying attention when I installed the engine Should have known better with all my years but...

Yes oil filter had an anti-siphon valve
But even if it didn't wouldn't the oil stop flowing when it hits the pressure relief valve in the block?

I still don't understand how oil could be flowing to bearings or lifters.

I have at least 30 hours on this mistake and the only thing I noticed was oil getting thin becuase of the heat issue. But still 20 pounds at idle should not cause you to spin a bearing
Old 09-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil prbably was not flowing well through the filter well so it was bypassing. The Mark IV engines had a bolt on canister with a valve that would alloe oil to flow to the bearings if the filter was clogged. Later Gen engines had the bypass valve on the block. UNFILTERED, oil was flowing to the bearings, that could cause some problems even with good pressure.
Just my $0.02
Gary
Old 09-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Registered

Thats my question. I know Mark IV engines had a bolt on canister with a valve, so if its going the wrong direction it could not get past the valve. That explains why my oil filter is luke warm. But how was oil getting to the engine when the valve stops it from returning because the flow was backwards?
Old 09-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plumbing that was backwards was outside the Mark IV canister. You can plug both the inlet and outlet (basically your case) and the oil still exits the block in the normal place and goes through the bypass into the inlet side. It worked exactly as it should. The canister cant be bolted on backwards.
Gary
Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
Thats my question. I know Mark IV engines had a bolt on canister with a valve, so if its going the wrong direction it could not get past the valve. That explains why my oil filter is luke warm. But how was oil getting to the engine when the valve stops it from returning because the flow was backwards?

Quick Reply: What actually happend when I reversed oil hoses??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.