502 EFI dying after reaching warmup temps >

502 EFI dying after reaching warmup temps

Notices

502 EFI dying after reaching warmup temps

Old 09-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 EFI dying after reaching warmup temps

My friend has a '94 EFI 502 that is dying after it gets warm and wont start until it cools off. How should he begin to investigate. Are there saftey interlocks or sensors that could be reading wrong(or right)? He has checked his impeller and seems to be good. Low fuel press have a cutoff point?? EFI is new to me,I told him he needs to use this site but he seems too busy to save time here
Old 09-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 502 EFI dying after reaching warmup temps

you need to find out if it is fuel or spark related problem, when it dies if it will not restart for a while that will help you find the problem, it's when it starts right back up it is a little harder to find, when it dies out pull the coil wire on the dist. and check for spark[make sure hatch is open and bilge blower on to kill any fumes] if you have spark and it still will not start most likely a fuel problem. under the front part of the intake manifold you will find a schrader valve to test fuel pressure, hook a gauge to it and will cranking you should have 36 psi fuel pressure on your 94 mpi system, if it is low you know it is a fuel problem, most of the time it is the screen in the vapor seperator tank at the back of the intake clogging up, but dont over look a bad fuel filter also
Old 09-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Buddy Novak

Default Re: 502 EFI dying after reaching warmup temps

I would check the fuel filter first since it is easy. Then I would check the distributor cap. Label all your wires and remove them. Take out two screws holding on the cap and inspect cap and rotor for corrosion. Mine was corroded to the max. I just went through all this with my 2000 502 getting hot and not starting etc. You can go read my posts of SICK 2000 502 about a month ago.

I would rec. changing rotor, dist. cap, plugs, fuel filter, oil every season along with some FI cleaner and stabilizer to the fuel will heal many of your problems. I also recommend the rapid fire #1's for the EFI 502. Starts easier and no transom soot to deal with. Let us know what you find.

Good luck

Buddy